Herping around Tokyo / Japan July/August 2018

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bavarianherper

Herping around Tokyo / Japan July/August 2018

Post by Bavarianherper »

Hey guys,
so I recently went to visit relatives currently living in Tokyo, Japan. So obviously herping wasn't the main objective of this trip but of course I couldn't resist and managed some finds I'm quite happy with.

Given the fact, that I found almost no info on how to go about it I decided to put this little report together in the hopes that it might make life just a bit easier for someone else who might find himself on Honshu Island (Japans main Island where Tokyo is located).
I was in Japan during the end of July as well as the beginning of August. So it was very hot (low to mid 90's Fahrenheit)

I have been Facebook friends with LouB747 for a while but we had never managed to meet up in person. But as luck would have it he would be in Japan while I was there so we arranged to meet around Narita Airport where he usually does his herping when in Japan.
We flipped some stuff but it was just too hot, so there was nothing underneath.

This dead on the road Japanese keelback (Amphiesma vibakari) was the first snake we found.
1.JPG
Just as Lou was getting ready to leave we spotted what seemed to be a snake with half its body on the road while the rest was still hidden by the vegetation. I made a run for it and managed to grab this beautiful Japanese ratsnake (Elaphe climacophora).
2.jpg
I continued herping after Lou had left.
First I found this dead Japanese grass lizard (Takydromus tachydromoides) that must have been hit while I was walking a different stretch of road because I had passed that spot earlier and there hadn't been a dead lizard then.
3.jpg
Then I found this beautiful Japanese five lined skink (Plestiodon japonicus).
4.JPG
I called it a day after that.

My relatives and I spent the next weekend on the Izu Peninsula. We arrived late on the first day so only managed to to herp after the sun had already set. Went driving on some Mountain roads but night herping doesn't seem good on Honshu Island.
Only managed to find this dead on the road Tiger keelback (Rhabdophis tigrinus).
5.jpg
While driving the same road the next day we found this huge (about 6 foot long) Japanese ratsnake so it must have been hit in the early morning which really sucked.
6.jpg
We also hiked some grassy hills that produced this Japanese grass lizard.
7.jpg
The next day we found this dead on the road Japanese four-lined ratsnake (Elaphe quadrivirgata).
8.jpg
We also saw some Japanese Macaques.
9.jpg
Going down a mountain road at 70 miles per hour coming around a bend I saw a snake that was crossing. I yelled snake, jumped out and ran back as fast as my legs could carry me. I was beyond happy when I managed to grab this Tiger keelback just before it could disappear into the brush. For thos that don't know, Tiger keelbacks are one of the few snakes that are venomous as well as poisonous.
10.jpg
11.jpg
Like most big cities sooner or later you will find a pond or lake where someone decided to get rid of their pet turtle. Tokyo is no different.
Red eared sliders are basically everywhere.
12.JPG
I also managed to catch this Chinese three-keeled pond turtle.
13.JPG
I saw a about 1 foot wide softshell turtle that took a breath and disappeared before I could take a picture.

I also found a park called Saigoyama park which is walking distance from Shibuya station. There are skinks as well as the odd Japanese grass lizard all over the place. I saw about 10 skinks within 30 Minutes. Unfortunately I only had my cell phone camera with me.
14.JPG
15.JPG
On one of my last days I went hiking on Mt. Takao. It can be easily reached by train from Tokyo.
As I was making my way up the trail I heard a movement at a spot that I had already passed. I turned and looked at the trail and down the slope only to see the tail of a snake making its way down. I dropped everything and ran/fell/slid down the slope for about 8 yards down I stopped to listen if I could locate the snake only to see it about 3 yards away from me. I managed to take this picture but it quickly made its getaway down the slope after that, never to be seen again.
16.jpg
I was pretty bummed about not catching that snake so seeing this little skink made me a bit happier.
17.jpg
I also came across this sign that shows the snakes you might come across.
18.jpg
From left to right Tiger keelback and Mamushi, not only does it say they are venomous but also shows that the tiger keelback is rear fanged.
The other snakes are the Japanese forest ratsnake, the Japanese keelback and the Japanese four-lined ratsnake.

On the way down a snake crossed the path right in front of me but very quickly so I had basically walked past it by the time I realized what has just happened, so I turned and jumped all in the same movement and managed to grab this beautiful Japanese forest ratsnake (Euprepiophis conspicillatus). They are red when they hatch and get browner as they age.
19.jpg
I walked up on this Japanese toad (Bufo japonicus) sitting on the trail and later found another next to a stream.
20.JPG
21.jpg
I had seen what I thought to be gecko poop on the rooftop terrace of my relatives apartment. So one night I went out with my flashlight and found this gecko which I believe to be a Schlegel's Japanese Gecko (Gekko japonicus).
22.jpg
23.jpg
Hope you enjoyed this report as well as the pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimi

Re: Herping around Tokyo / Japan July/August 2018

Post by Jimi »

Awesome. That might have been the best "normal" post (I mean not one of Lou's great movies...) here from Japan, ever. Certainly among the best.

You made going to Japan and doing some herping look pretty decent! And at what must be a pretty crappy time of year - imagine if you'd gone in (I assume?...) April or May.

Think you'll ever go back? Better time, better location perhaps? Pair it with, say, Okinawa or better yet, Taiwan?

thanks again
Bavarianherper

Re: Herping around Tokyo / Japan July/August 2018

Post by Bavarianherper »

Jimi wrote:Awesome. That might have been the best "normal" post (I mean not one of Lou's great movies...) here from Japan, ever. Certainly among the best.

You made going to Japan and doing some herping look pretty decent! And at what must be a pretty crappy time of year - imagine if you'd gone in (I assume?...) April or May.

Think you'll ever go back? Better time, better location perhaps? Pair it with, say, Okinawa or better yet, Taiwan?

thanks again
Thank you Jimi!
Yeah I'm pretty happy with the results.
The high temperatures meant that things would be on the move so I just had to put in a bit more effort than Lou does in Spring when he can just flip stuff and find snakes. The only snake I regret not finding was a Mamushi.
Yeah I will definitely be back and probably pair it with a visit to Okinawa and/or Taiwan. I just had pretty tight schedule this time so couldn't make the extra trip.

Cheers
Fred