And Then... I Found Myself In The Desert (after the storm)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

And Then... I Found Myself In The Desert (after the storm)

Post by Porter »

ImageDSC_0151-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0164-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0160-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

And Then, I Found Myself in the Desert...

Image20180715_042935 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180715_053419-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0212-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0190-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0245-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0248-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0286-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0287-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0288-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0297-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0338-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0368-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0372-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0348-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0384-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180715_112727-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0385-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0393-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0401-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180715_094003-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180715_065148 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180715_065130 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0405-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0415-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0420-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0422-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0430-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0469-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0474-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0480-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0483-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0493-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_012729 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_012811 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180714_191228-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180714_191306-2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_091842_HDR by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_114220 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_114303 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image20180716_114602 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
craigb

Re: And Then... I Found Myself In The Desert (after the stor

Post by craigb »

Great stuff....
You get around !
Outstanding scenery and animal shots....

Craig
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

I'm intrigued with the dorsal shot of the horned lizard - looks like a couple of crocodile heads in my vivid imagination LOL.
Porter

Post by Porter »

craigb wrote:Great stuff....
You get around !
Outstanding scenery and animal shots....

Craig
Thanks Craig! Yeah, sometimes you have to force yourself into a 6 hr drive, Despite being tired as hell ( :lol: ), when some interesting weather occurs. There was a 4 day thunderstorm and I had told Ilikesnakes I’d take him on his first desert trip. So we tried our luck and found ourselves driving through a brutal hailstorm as we crossed the Sierras. :o

I did great the first time I did this. End of September, hard rains, found a DOR Panamint in the road, rain harvesting stripe whipsnake, and a ton of lizard activity after the rains cleared up the following day. However, it looks like everything got rained out because we didn’t find much at all. I wish we would’ve been able to catch the first day of the storm. I mean July thunderstorm… Only thing going through my mind was rain harvesting Reptilians everywhere :lol: This surprisingly to me, was the least productive trip I’ve had so far. ILikesnakes was still pretty stoked And had a great time. But I was feeling defeated :lol: Still, I love the desert habitat! And it was great just being in it. I’ve also been doing a month-to-month study each time I do a desert trip… So, I’ve got March April May June, this was the first July trip. I’m gonna have to go when it’s not raining. We also saw a couple nighthawks (lifer for me) in the road and had an awesome bobcat encounter.

John Martin wrote:I'm intrigued with the dorsal shot of the horned lizard - looks like a couple of crocodile heads in my vivid imagination LOL.
:lol: that’s awesome! I see what you’re talking about :thumb: I like that shot of me staring into the sun with the little shadow me standing on my shoulder lol There is even a couple indentations in my shirt where the feet would be placed :lol: I love trippy photography like that which has hidden things :beer:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Oh yeah, I should also mention that we only caught the End of the storm
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Very nice! I really like that horned lizard. Those are one of the coolest lizards in the world.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ross Padilla wrote:Very nice! I really like that horned lizard. Those are one of the coolest lizards in the world.
Thanks Ross :beer: I agree. They’re rad looking. What an amazing array of scale shape and construction. A true work of Art. I was telling Bill, “Well, at least we found two of the coolest lizards the desert has to offer.” In an apologetic tone lol ..and he’s like “dude Im happy just to be here. That snake was awesome” :mrgreen: lol

We saw a couple collards too :thumb:
DRDAN

Post by DRDAN »

The canyon heading into DV from Panamint valley has some nice specks as well as the trona road.
Porter

Post by Porter »

DRDAN wrote:The canyon heading into DV from Panamint valley has some nice specks as well as the trona road.
Thanks for the tip :beer: I normally drop in from the northern side up near Mono and take 395 down. My first trip out there was the only time I went as far as south of DV. Lots of cool abandoned trailer houses out there! Flipped my lifer night Liz and banded gecko down there. I think I drove Trona or pass through the town of it… It is a town right? Lol. I remember I saw some desert tortoise crossing signs at some point, went past some white dusty mining area, and saw some signs for San Bernardino but I’m not sure if we were actually in San Bernardino. I had my exgirlfriend with me and we’re driving during the day and I couldn’t really check those areas however I did check the abanded houses And flip some Joshua tree debris

Have you ever cruise the 190 grade the drops down into death Valley from that side? I’ve wanted to for a few years now but still haven’t
DRDAN

Post by DRDAN »

Hi porter
I’ve worked in DV off and on for the past 30 years so yes I have used most if not all routes into or out of the park at some point. 190 is hit and miss as is most of the area but one can be surprised once in awhile. I vouchered a rosy off the 190 in July so go figure.
Porter

Post by Porter »

DRDAN wrote:Hi porter
I’ve worked in DV off and on for the past 30 years so yes I have used most if not all routes into or out of the park at some point. 190 is hit and miss as is most of the area but one can be surprised once in awhile. I vouchered a rosy off the 190 in July so go figure.
Wow, a rosy! That’s awesome. I’m almost got stuck out there with my ex exploring those canyon roads... So close to running out of gas. We barely made over to that East side for fuel after driving Scott’s Flat or Scotts Valley rd whatever that road is ...Found my lifer winder in DV. :mrgreen: coiled in the road and right next to a banded gecko and some other lizard that ran off, fringe toe maybe...idk. Yep very hit and miss. Most of our exploring results were unsuccessful
DRDAN

Post by DRDAN »

DV is definitely not a place to get “stuck” especially during the summer lol. The rosy was a surprise, had we not passed a Cadillac full of tweakers from NY, the snake would have been smashed so listen to your intuition. Snake was relocated off the road in the direction it was headed and vouchered on CNDDB. I have not heard of any rosy boas north of this location.
Porter

Post by Porter »

That’s awesome :beer: yep, I have never come across one out there. And I always pass up tweakers :lol: it’s a rule of thumb :thumb: