Will be passing through Kansas (Topeka) & Wyoming (Cheyenne)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

the_cw1

Will be passing through Kansas (Topeka) & Wyoming (Cheyenne)

Post by the_cw1 »

I'm moving to Utah (SLC) to start my philosophy PhD in the fall. On the way, I'm going to be passing through Kansas (Topeka) to see my gf's relatives and we're going to stop in Wyoming (Cheyenne) for a few nights. I've never herped either state and, through googling, have some ideas on what to do, but I'm always interested in connecting with fellow enthusiasts. This leads me to the central question:

Are there Kansas/Wyoming herpers who would like to meet up when I'm in Topeka/Cheynne? Or, if not that, provide some general hints or good locationg? Like I said, I've done enough research on my own where I feel confident on finding something (e.g, a copperhead or prairie rattler). All that said, while traveling (whether domestic or international), it's way more fun to connect with local herpers. I've learned a great deal and value connections in our community.

Anyways, hope for some advice or contact. If not, I'll be herping the Utah area soon enough and will no doubt meet more herpers there (Michigan isn't particularly bustling with activity). To Utah: Scutulatus or bust! :p

-Derek

(I know people are loathe to give out information, and I respect that. Still, I've met some amazing naturalists this way and hope to continue the trend)

EDIT:
Topeka (7-10 -> 7-11)
Cheyenne (7-13 -> 7-14)
Jimi

Re: Will be passing through Kansas (Topeka) & Wyoming (Cheye

Post by Jimi »

Cool. Are you going to the U? (Univ of Utah?)

I have a friend on the philosophy faculty there. My wife and I watched fireworks w/ her & her family at another's house last night actually.

No need to bust for scutulatus when you arrive. They are super easy, within their very small Utah distribution. About 4.5 hrs drive from SLC.

This will likely be an interesting place for you. Utah has some serious quirks. Salt Lake City is pretty cool though. Kind of a sleeper. Though we seem to be attracting quite a few out-of-staters of late with the booming economy.

Herping is tough but can be rewarding. There's a good little crew here.

cheers
the_cw1

Re: Will be passing through Kansas (Topeka) & Wyoming (Cheye

Post by the_cw1 »

Hey Jimi,

Yes, I'll be at the U. It looks like an exceptionally nice school from the little time I was there. I'll be focusing on environmental and biological issues, ideally working on outreach with kids too.

I had never been to SLC before this year. I went out in May for a conference and had the chance explore the city and meet faculty (I met two female faculty members and I'm trying to guess if one of them is the *culprit* here, haha). I'll be in town the 17th and look forward to exploring. Culturally, I think it will be a *transition* for me in some ways. I lived in Portland Oregon for a few years after all. :p

Glad to hear scutulatus isn't too hard to come by. I got to visit AZ last year and was a bit disappointed I didn't find any. Granted, that trip was amazing in its own way but I had hoped for the "mojave green." As a Michigan herper, variety is not something we have much of. :D

Hope to have the chance to meet you and some other herpers before I start school in late August. Cheers!

-Derek