Bullfrog call causing ripples in the water

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mfb

Bullfrog call causing ripples in the water

Post by mfb »

Some of you may enjoy these photos and video showing a male Bullfrog causing water to splash and ripple with his deep call. Taken in June 2018. Cuyahoga County, Ohio.

Best, Mike

Video:

Photos:

Resting between calls

In the middle of a call. See the water drops fly!
Jimi

Re: Bullfrog call causing ripples in the water

Post by Jimi »

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Alligator bellowing does the same thing. I wouldn't have thought to look for it in a frog.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Come on, Michael, that's a male alligator booming!!
:lol: :roll:

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen that in a Bullfrog... Very good... :thumb:
mfb

Post by mfb »

Thanks Jimi and Bill! That is a neat comparison with the Alligator. Still haven't seen Alligators bellowing in the wild, hope to do that soon. I've seen many Bullfrogs call, but never noticed this effect before. I think it was the night photos and flash that made me notice. Mike
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Still haven't seen Alligators bellowing in the wild
It's fun, but captives are easier. I used to live in St Augustine FL and can enthusiastically recommend a spring trip to the Alligator Farm there (a nice little AZA-accredited zoo). You can see bellowing gators, live examples of every extant crocodilian species (many also courting or nesting), and also a seasonal procession of nesting wild wading bird species (some go earlier, some later - March through May is prime time). The herons & egrets - maybe 8 species total, usually 3-4 at any one time - use the trees in the gator exclosures as raccoon- and possum-safe places to nest. The elevated boardwalks over the ponds and among the trees afford many chances to peek into nests (end get your eyes pecked out!). Eggs, nestlings and fledglings (different species) can all be seen at once if you go later in the season.

Thanks again, I enjoyed your material.

cheers