Identification Help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Ronquillo08

Identification Help

Post by Ronquillo08 »

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this little fellow. I took these pictures at a rest stop off of the 139 in Lassen County on my way to San Diego. I am not well versed in Cal Herps yet and it looks like to me either some kind of fence or Side-blotched Lizard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimi

Re: Identification Help

Post by Jimi »

See the CA Herps site, or get yourself a Stebbins. Do both, really - "no bars" is not a problem when you're holding a field guide! And there's no screen glare, and no dead battery, ever.

It's definitely not a Uta, it's one of the 2 scelops that occur there. The key diagnostics occur on the back of the thighs - color and texture. Western fence is pricklier-scaled (all over really, but especially there), and there's some yellow coloring along the rear margin. Sagebrush is smoother-scaled (all over really, but especially there) with no yellow.

The first pic makes it look fairly prickly. I feel like I see some yellow in the 2nd pic. Overall, seems like a female western fence. It's a lot easier to say, in person! Especially once you've seen - and handled - plenty of each species in a given area. Both vary a bit across their ranges, in dorsal color and pattern. The structural stuff though, the relative roughness or prickliness, is pretty constant. I'll take structure over color any day.

(Second and third opinions most welcome. Don't hold back, fellas. I'm a snake guy for the most part.)

How'd you like that drive? I like that area quite a bit. There's breathing room, and some good herping to be had there - long toed sallies, pond turtles, boas, short-horned lizards etc. Lots of leopard and collared lizards, in spots. Fairly colorful rattlesnakes. A mix of Great Basin and more-coastal fauna.

So - did you move south, or what?

cheers
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Sagebrush Lizard - Sceloporus graciosus
Ronquillo08

Post by Ronquillo08 »

Hey Jimi,

No, I am working at the Naval base and just decided to take the long way down, did not get to see much accept for these guys an a few Pac. Rattlesnakes in the foothills. I appreciate the help :beer: