Coming to Belgium, need help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nature Nate

Coming to Belgium, need help

Post by Nature Nate »

I will be in Bostogne, Liege, and Luxembourg with my family next month. Could anyone throw me a bone as to where I might see some adders? Is there anyone who we could connect with in any of those areas?

Any general information about herping in Europe would also be appreciated like what laws should I be aware of. Of course, I do not want to collect anything, just looking to check off a few lifers. Any herps will be lifers for us as this is my first time in Europe.

Thanks in advance! -NN

Of course, I can reciprocate any help for anyone who might visit southern california USA
Martti Niskanen

Re: Coming to Belgium, need help

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Try Fieldherping EU http://fieldherping.eu/Forum/index A lot of knowledgeable herpers and herpetologists there. Herpers tend to be quite secretive about specific V. berus locations, so you may or may not find help finding them. Also, you might have to travel as berus sites are hardly abundant in a packed country such as Belgium.

All amphibians and reptiles are protected and bothering them is thus illegal, but you'll be fine if you just watch, photograph and don't collect.
Nature Nate

Re: Coming to Belgium, need help

Post by Nature Nate »

Thank your for the info. I did not know that the vipers were a rare species. I understand the need to be secretive with special spots. Thanks for the info on the regulations too.