6 days in South Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Neiloss

6 days in South Florida

Post by Neiloss »

G'day

I guess for most of you there's nothing too interesting here, but this was my first trip to the states so most of the species were lifers for me! We did snaffle a pretty odd little scarlet snake too, so maybe there's at least something for the connoisseur of odd-looking critters. I'll just do the usual - a few (horribly resized) photos here and the rest on the link below...
DSCF6424 (2) (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
P1070404 (3) (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
P1070754 (2) (1024x735) (800x574).jpg
P1080027 (2) (1024x721) (800x563).jpg
Here's the link to the rest: http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.co ... -2018.html

Take it easy,

Neil

ps - Thanks to Josh H for some of the info!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtratcliffe

Re: 6 days in South Florida

Post by mtratcliffe »

Looks like you had a great trip! You found a lot of stuff, though I don't think I saw any venomous snakes, which is a bummer. That Scarletsnake with the aberrant pattern is awesome!

On your blog, I saw two freshwater turtle pics, and one was labeled as a Slider. Both are actually Florida Red-bellied Cooters (Pseudemys nelsoni).
Neiloss

Post by Neiloss »

Much appreciated with the ID!

As for venomous critters - We approached one cottonmouth in ENP but it had just been hit by a car, it lowered its head for the last time just as we got to it.
Definitely a bummer (and a surprise) we didn't end up with any more, it wasn't for lack of trying! However (in terms of road cruising anyway) it almost got to the stage where it was a relief to see nothing as there were way too many casualties early on.

Certainly left some unfinished business in Fl though!

Neil
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

Nothing uninteresting any of that. All those animals are amazing. You only got to scratch at the surface of the region's diversity. One that is far to rapidly disappearing. South Florida is one of the most diverse and interesting places on the planet. It is an incredible mixture. In my opinion virtually no place on the planet offers the herping opportunities that S. Florida does. And all extremely accessible. Its an awesome herping / wildlife destination.
Flying out gave us a great view looking west over Miami and across into the glades. So much land has been claimed by the city, but luckily there’s still wilderness out there in Southern Florida, lots of it - for now anyway. The adverse effect of the park roads on wildlife is clear, and surely traffic and footfall will only increase as the planet continues to overcrowd -
Miami's (much of Florida's) rapid growth has been absolutely deviasting to Florida's environment. Miami and much of Florida's eastern coast has become so over crowded. New arrivals and current uninvited residents are now trekking across the state in mass and reeking havoc on the states West coast. What was paradise only 20 yrs ago is now full on Ghetto thanks to this migration. Its easy to see the main culprit for this far to rapid population expansion and all the horrific problems that accompany it is and has been the US's far to lax immigration laws.

Ernie Eison
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Wow Ernie....

Never know one could run for public office on a herp forum platform. :?
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

WSTREPS wrote:Nothing uninteresting any of that. All those animals are amazing. You only got to scratch at the surface of the region's diversity. One that is far to rapidly disappearing. South Florida is one of the most diverse and interesting places on the planet. It is an incredible mixture. In my opinion virtually no place on the planet offers the herping opportunities that S. Florida does. And all extremely accessible. Its an awesome herping / wildlife destination.
Flying out gave us a great view looking west over Miami and across into the glades. So much land has been claimed by the city, but luckily there’s still wilderness out there in Southern Florida, lots of it - for now anyway. The adverse effect of the park roads on wildlife is clear, and surely traffic and footfall will only increase as the planet continues to overcrowd -
Miami's (much of Florida's) rapid growth has been absolutely deviasting to Florida's environment. Miami and much of Florida's eastern coast has become so over crowded. New arrivals and current uninvited residents are now trekking across the state in mass and reeking havoc on the states West coast. What was paradise only 20 yrs ago is now full on Ghetto thanks to this migration. Its easy to see the main culprit for this far to rapid population expansion and all the horrific problems that accompany it is and has been the US's far to lax immigration laws.

Ernie Eison
LOL! Florida makes national news 3 times a day and it is all negative. Despite all of the illegals and migrants that Ernie speaks of, it is my fellow whites that create all of that negative press. It is the crazy white, trailer park trash that keeps me out. I have not been to Florida since 1987, driving through Homestead was like visiting 1870's wild west. It is also my fellow whites that have over-collected Florida for many years and continue to do so today. Ernie, I will take those immigrants over the white trash any day.
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

LOL! Florida makes national news 3 times a day and it is all negative. Despite all of the illegals and migrants that Ernie speaks of, blah blah blah.............
You fail on all counts. That silly dthor68 comment. A response from a guy who hasn't been to Florida in 30yrs was all very poorly thought out and lacks common sense reasoning as well as facts. Bad form, Go melt snowflake.
Wow Ernie....

Never know one could run for public office on a herp forum platform.
I have no idea what that drive-by post is suppose to mean.

Ernie Eison
dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

WSTREPS wrote:
LOL! Florida makes national news 3 times a day and it is all negative. Despite all of the illegals and migrants that Ernie speaks of, blah blah blah.............
You fail on all counts. That silly dthor68 comment. A response from a guy who hasn't been to Florida in 30yrs was all very poorly thought out and lacks common sense reasoning as well as facts. Bad form, Go melt snowflake.
Wow Ernie....

Never know one could run for public office on a herp forum platform.
I have no idea what that drive-by post is suppose to mean.

Ernie Eison
Dude, did I not tell you that I visit Florida 3 times a day through the news? But, great argument. I see you are still the political one and easy to see who's side you are on with the name calling, LOL!
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

Dude, did I not tell you that I visit Florida 3 times a day through the news?
This is what you siad "I have not been to Florida since 1987". Thats the real of it. Like most who take up your view you are clueless. 30yrs ago driving through Homestead was like visiting 1870's wild west. So tell me Mr. news watcher whats driving thru Homestead like today? For every story about as you call them crazy white, trailer park trash that makes the news, there are a 1000 storys involving illegals that guys like you dont hear about. And so much more. If you LIVED here you would know that.
It is also my fellow whites that have over-collected Florida for many years and continue to do so today.
And in case your not up to speed this line from you is as equally ignorant as the rest of you news watchers slant.

Ernie Eison
exanvaranid

Post by exanvaranid »

Wonderful finds! I assume being in South Florida, there was never a lack of an abundance of Green Iguanas? ;)
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

Wonderful finds! I assume being in South Florida, there was never a lack of an abundance of Green Iguanas?
Sure there are plenty of Green iguana's in South Florida. In addition to everything else why shouldn't illegals also have their natural wildlife. Currently there is a reward out for information about somebody who is going around shooting iguanas with a bow and arrow.

Don't complain that there's too many people if you support this crap.

Ernie Eison

A series of images that tell the story.

https://vimeo.com/255668584
Neiloss

Post by Neiloss »

exanvaranid wrote:Wonderful finds! I assume being in South Florida, there was never a lack of an abundance of Green Iguanas? ;)
Cheers.
We spotted a few I guess, but mainly whilst driving along busier highways so no decent views.
In terms of abundance they were nothing compared to the anoles though. Anole after anole after anole. Much like the European forum at present.

Neil
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Looks like you got a good smattering of our FL stuff. Congrats on what looks like a fun trip. :beer: