It is currently December 16th, 2018, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 5:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
Its been some years since I've hit the field like this. Its been a lot of fun. The helleri always remind you to watch your step.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

San Diego gopher
Image

Image

Southern Alligator lizard
Image

Side blotched
Image

Juvenile SB Ring neck
Image

Got a nice surprise under this.
Image

Two striped garter, which is pretty uncommon outside the mountains.
Image

Image

Image

Night snake.
Image

Image

Coastal phase California kingsnake.
Image

One day, I broke a personal record. For over 20 years, 3 black headed snakes is the most I've found in one day. The other day, I found 5, including this triple flip, which contained 2 baby tantilla and a baby banded gecko.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Here are the other tantilla and a Banded gecko found that day.
Image

Image

Image

Image

More helleri
Image

Image

One of my coolest finds was a Long nosed snake found under this board. I've only found about 4 Long nosed under AC in over 20 years of herping Riverside Co.
Image

Long nosed
Image

Image

I lifted a board and had a sub adult Red Coachwhip take off into the grass and disappear. I also had a juvenile SD gopher get away from me as well. This one didn't lol
Image

The yellow on this Ca kingsnake was intense.
Image

Image

This must be the year of the tantilla, because I also found more than my previous record of 3 in one day. This day I found 4 tantilla including 2 under one board, which I thought was pretty amazing.
Image

Image

The other two.
Image

Image

Lastly my favorite find of the year. The number one snake on my mind is always CA kingsnakes. This individual was amazing. Luckily I caught the in situ shot as well.
Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 10:35 am 
User avatar

Joined: July 25th, 2016, 6:26 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Los Angeles
Wow those pictures are perfect. The mantilla double flip and the long nose were crazy!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2018, 9:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Posts: 1945
Hell yeah :thumb: great post Ross! Looks like you got a nice cold-blooded welcome back into the field. I miss seeing posts like this... Where you're not just looking at photos of snakes and things, but actually some shots of habitat, AC, flips and in hand shots. More of a field herping post as opposed to photography of field herping.

That gartersnake looks like a beast. Reminded me of my lifer gigas. Coiled up just like that over in the corner and a very unexpected find. Fairly large one too. Even now I rarely flip them. They tend to stick with the holes and just surface into the grasses for warmth. Congrats on the tantilla. (Talk about glowing snakes :lol: ) cool that you included a belly shot. They have one of the coolest looking bellies of all the ca snakes and I never get to see any shots of the bellies. I've still never found one. And that last king looks amazing. What an artistically badass pattern :thumb:

Just a friendly reminder... now that you're getting back into the field, don't forget there's something lurking out there more dangerous than Hellery. Ms. Oak is creeping & seeping. I went out last weekend. Man, she got me from elbow to wrist on both arms, Knuckles and fingers, and where the sun don't shine lol I think that might have something to do with my Dreamcatcher reference over on Nick's post as well :lol: I'm covered in the s*** :cry:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 7:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
huck wrote:
Wow those pictures are perfect. The mantilla double flip and the long nose were crazy!

Thanks, Huck!


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 7:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
Porter wrote:
Hell yeah :thumb: great post Ross! Looks like you got a nice cold-blooded welcome back into the field. I miss seeing posts like this... Where you're not just looking at photos of snakes and things, but actually some shots of habitat, AC, flips and in hand shots. More of a field herping post as opposed to photography of field herping.

That gartersnake looks like a beast. Reminded me of my lifer gigas. Coiled up just like that over in the corner and a very unexpected find. Fairly large one too. Even now I rarely flip them. They tend to stick with the holes and just surface into the grasses for warmth. Congrats on the tantilla. (Talk about glowing snakes :lol: ) cool that you included a belly shot. They have one of the coolest looking bellies of all the ca snakes and I never get to see any shots of the bellies. I've still never found one. And that last king looks amazing. What an artistically badass pattern :thumb:

Just a friendly reminder... now that you're getting back into the field, don't forget there's something lurking out there more dangerous than Hellery. Ms. Oak is creeping & seeping. I went out last weekend. Man, she got me from elbow to wrist on both arms, Knuckles and fingers, and where the sun don't shine lol I think that might have something to do with my Dreamcatcher reference over on Nick's post as well :lol: I'm covered in the s*** :cry:


Thanks a lot, Porter. Glad you liked it. I hope I don’t see Ms Oak any time soon. :lol:


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 11:38 pm 

Joined: March 30th, 2015, 10:01 am
Posts: 69
Location: Orange County
Posts like this are why I joined this forum...

Awesome stuff :thumb:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 4:54 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
mark buck wrote:
Posts like this are why I joined this forum...

Awesome stuff :thumb:

Thanks Mark.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: May 5th, 2018, 11:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2011, 1:38 pm
Posts: 253
Location: Alaska
Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 1:34 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Posts: 271
Dude! that King Rocks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 6:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
sjfriend wrote:
Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.

Thanks a lot! You might enjoy this poster.
Image


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 7:00 am 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
socalherper wrote:
Dude! that King Rocks!

Thanks Tony!


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 2:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: March 9th, 2017, 4:22 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Southern California
Ross Padilla wrote:
sjfriend wrote:
Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.

Thanks a lot! You might enjoy this poster.
Image


While I am not an expert in Latin, isn't that a typo in the title? One of the most...colubrid(s)?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 3:26 pm 

Joined: June 7th, 2010, 5:02 am
Posts: 594
Location: Southern Cal.
That was a great post !!!
Never seen Thamnophis, or Rhinocheilus, there...
Let alone a cool king like that!

P.S. Much better pics than I take also !!

Great stuff :thumb:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 3:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
Fire Drake wrote:
Ross Padilla wrote:
sjfriend wrote:
Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.

Thanks a lot! You might enjoy this poster.
Image


While I am not an expert in Latin, isn't that a typo in the title? One of the most...colubrid(s)?

You might be right. I was debating that one word if it should have an S or not.


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 3:44 pm 
User avatar

Joined: June 8th, 2010, 5:29 pm
Posts: 2662
Location: I love L.A.
craigb wrote:
That was a great post !!!
Never seen Thamnophis, or Rhinocheilus, there...
Let alone a cool king like that!

P.S. Much better pics than I take also !!

Great stuff :thumb:

haha Thanks Craig! :thumb:


Top
 Profile WWW 
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: