Portland, OR area.....

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NW Gorge Crawler

Portland, OR area.....

Post by NW Gorge Crawler »

Just wondering how many of us live in the area? I would like to get together with some fellow critter chasers and plan an outing or two this year. Anyone interested let me know.
Thanks
Andrew
Ameron

One in The Couv

Post by Ameron »

I've lived in Portland/Vancouver for over 27 years.
Many times, I've herped the Gorge and other local areas. (The local population of California Mountain Kingsnake continues to elude me.)
In warm months, I love to hike & photograph away from the city - or in local parks.

I've hiked/herped throughout the Western states. Few know the regional terrain, geoogy & wildlife like I do.

Pro: I'm an open-minded Progressive Populist who picks up trash, I'm fit and very energetic.
Con: I'm 50+, and so is my other herper friend, who is also in great shape for his age. I carry cell phones only when I must.
(Unlike most Americans who believed industry lies without questions, I've listened to scientists who repeatedly warn about the *strong* dangers of microwave radiation.)

If this sounds like a good match, you are welcome to contact me via this forum.
jonathan

Re: Portland, OR area.....

Post by jonathan »

I'll be in Portland for parts of June and early July this year. I used to live in St. Helens and get back there every so often, know the herpable areas decently well but not nearly as well as someone who lives there full time. I'll have a pregnant wife at home so I can't make just any trip, but if there's a target sufficiently interesting I might be able to make it happen. I have a friend who would want to come if possible too.
the_cw1

Post by the_cw1 »

And I'll be in Oregon from June 2-15 (roughly). Would be happy to meet up. I know several good garter spots and a special salamander location. I lived there for 3 years so have a few ideas. :)

I responded to a previous "Gorge Crawler" thread but never heard back...

-Derek
technoendo

Post by technoendo »

I live just outside of Seattle but I drive a fair bit around the northwest seeking reptiles. Lately my days are mostly spent doing amateur field herping for reptiles to shoot video footage to use as fodder for practicing and learning about video production. I spend the most herping time in the Ellensburg area especially in the summer -- a lot of road cruising and night hikes.

I'd love to get down to Portland sometime to find some normal/blue phase concinnus to get some footage for a video on ttx resistance. I wouldn't mind finding some gorge night snakes just to compare their size to night snakes found further north (I've heard from a few herpers about larger specimens found there, gigantic 22 inch hogs!). I also would like to find some desert striped whipsnakes in WA and northern Oregon so I can one-up the_cw1 here. ;)

I'm always down to meet new herpers. If someone suggests a time/date/place for a meet-up I'll try to be there unless there is some other scheduling conflict.
NW Gorge Crawler

Post by NW Gorge Crawler »

Thank you to those that have replied. I was hoping to plan an outing in the next few weeks. Spring is the season for Salamanders. Maybe hit the lower elevations for Ensatina? What are your thoughts? PM me your contact info. Maybe get a group text or email going?
Thanks
Andrew