Collared Lizard search Tucson Area May

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

rogeruzun

Collared Lizard search Tucson Area May

Post by rogeruzun »

I am going to be in the Tucson, AZ area in early May, driving from San Diego. Is there any reasonable chance for me to get photos of a Collared Lizard anywhere along the way? I've only seen a couple in my life, both in the Anza Borrego desert. I could stop at the Organ Pipe Monument area on the way down or back.

Can anyone familiar with AZ lizards give me a time of day/location for my best chance to see a Collared Lizard between say Sierra Vista, AZ and San Diego CA in the first week of May, or just let me know that it's very very unlikely.

And since I do most of my herp watching around San Diego and Imperial Counties in CA, is there a place local to me any time of year where i might be more likely to see a Collared Lizard? They seem very rare around here.

-Roger Uzun
Poway, CA.
SurfinHerp

Re: Collared Lizard search Tucson Area May

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi Roger,

Collared lizards are fairly common on most rocky desert slopes. They are usually more wary than other lizard species, sometimes making them difficult to observe. April, May and September are probably the best months to see them in most parts of So. Cal. and Arizona.
I recommend using a good pair of binoculars to scan rocks that are 30-70 yards away. That way you should be able to spot a collared before you get too close and scare it away. It can be even better to drive slowly through good, rocky habitat and use binoculars to check every basking lizard you see. Many lizards are much less wary of cars; but as soon as you step outside, they are likely to bolt.
Collareds seem to come out later in the morning than most other species. Air temps of 85-95 F are ideal.

For more detailed info and photos, you should definitely check out this excellent website: http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/ ... igium.html

Good luck!

Jeff
rogeruzun

Post by rogeruzun »

Thanks for the tips. Can you suggest any good locations in San Diego or Imperial Counties. I have seen only ever seen them off the Cactus Loop trail near Tamarask Grove in Anza Borrego, or the Palm Canyon area in Anza Borrego. Is there a location you can get to without a 4 wheel drive that would give a decent shot in April/May around here?

Are there specific locations in the Tucson area (which I am not at all familiar with) that might give me the best shot when I go there in May?

-Roger Uzun
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I like to be out early, when its still too cool for lizards, while it warms up. Collard lizards like it hot but they are a lot easier to capture and photograph if you you can find them when they are still a little on the cool side.

We don't really give specific locations on this board but someone might be able to PM you.
rogeruzun

Post by rogeruzun »

Does anyone have experience photographing herps east of Jacumba, maybe around the airport area? Is that a good spot to find photogenic lizards when the weather is right? Is it private property there or are you free to look around and take photos?

-Roger Uzun