Vipers of 2017

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Thor Hakonsen

Vipers of 2017

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

Last year I made the post of the vipers I found in 2016, and it seems a lot of people liked to see it :

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=24098

So, then there will off course also be a thread for 2017

It started of with the "in the field pictures" a bit late this year, in april. With the local adders (Vipera berus)

ImageVipera berus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

Then, in may the trip went to north-eastern Greece (as last year) to look for the Ottoman Viper (Montivipera xanthina) and Long-nosed Viper (Vipera ammodytes)

ImageVipera ammodytes by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageMonitivipera xanthina by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageVipera ammodytes meridionalis by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageVipera ammodytes meridionalis by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageVipera ammodytes by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

In july I had a trip to my hometown, to look at the adders (Vipera berus) from my childhood populations

The a short trip in august, around the doors at home

And september came, and it was time for the big trip of the year - Arizona!

ImageCrotalus lepidus klauberi by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus scutulatus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus molossus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus viridis by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus atrox by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus cerberus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus willardi willardi by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

ImageCrotalus cerastes cercobombus by Thor Hakonsen, on Flickr

For more pictures from the AZ-trip - look here : http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=24622

For more of my pictures in general, check out : http://www.wondersofcoldblood.com

-Thor-
BethH

Re: Vipers of 2017

Post by BethH »

Those are beautiful portraits.
PMcP

Post by PMcP »

These look great, I may have been in the same places you went to this summer :D I recently was in Greece to hunt for my future holiday house and, of course, somewhat forgot about it sometimes and went to take a couple pictures. Unfortunately, I had only brought my phone and these sneaky creatures always evaded and I was left with some HD pictures of dried grass. However, now I'm looking at one of these https://tranio.com/greece/detached/, as I could visit a couple of them myself, and hope I'll become a better photographer and take decent pictures of the five billion meadow vipers (?) and Ottoman ones that live there. My wife could take these pictures, but she's terrified by snakes... what camera are you using? I could use something better than my phone.

(Oh, by the way, that's my first post here. So, I'm Thierry from Belgium, I've been looking for snakes, lizards etc during my trips abroad for as long as I remember, but I discovered only recently that it was a full time activity and had an other name than "looking at snakes". :lol: Hi everyone!)
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Great pics. Love that first bluish viper, very cool looking snake.
Thor Hakonsen

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

PMcP wrote:These look great, I may have been in the same places you went to this summer :D I recently was in Greece to hunt for my future holiday house and, of course, somewhat forgot about it sometimes and went to take a couple pictures. Unfortunately, I had only brought my phone and these sneaky creatures always evaded and I was left with some HD pictures of dried grass. However, now I'm looking at one of these https://tranio.com/greece/detached/, as I could visit a couple of them myself, and hope I'll become a better photographer and take decent pictures of the five billion meadow vipers (?) and Ottoman ones that live there. My wife could take these pictures, but she's terrified by snakes... what camera are you using? I could use something better than my phone.

(Oh, by the way, that's my first post here. So, I'm Thierry from Belgium, I've been looking for snakes, lizards etc during my trips abroad for as long as I remember, but I discovered only recently that it was a full time activity and had an other name than "looking at snakes". :lol: Hi everyone!)
Sorry for the late reply Thierry,

A holdiday house in Greece would be amazing!

The most common viper you'll find there is the Long-nosed viper (V.ammodytes), they can be very common locally. The meadow (greek) vipers (V.graeca) is not very common, and only found high up in some few mountains mountains. Ottoman viper (M.xanthina) you'll only find in the north-east of the country at the border of Turkey.

As for camera, I mostly use a Nikon D5 and Nikon D500