Does this count as a sighting? :)

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1770585 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.1769234 ... 312!8i6656

Screen caps for when they eventually update:
Screenshot-2018-1-19 Google Maps 1.jpg
Screenshot-2018-1-19 Google Maps 1 closeup.jpg
Screenshot-2018-1-19 Google Maps 2.jpg
Screenshot-2018-1-19 Google Maps 2 closeup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fieldnotes

Re: Gila Monster on Google Street View

Post by Fieldnotes »

Too cool! :beer:
Ronquillo08

Post by Ronquillo08 »

LoL, So awesome. :D
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Very cool.
It also looks like the camera vehicle did not run it over, which is better yet!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good catch! I've always wanted to see that.
Nicholas
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That is amazing! Good catch. Did you have to zoom in before you knew what it was? Were you looking out for something like this? I might have missed it if I was doing street view on that street.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Absolutely counts. Enter it in naherp.com...or I will... :) And, while looking for yours I found my own Gila in the park...and an Atrox...thanks for the idea...

Knormal

Post by Knormal »

Ross Padilla wrote:That is amazing! Good catch. Did you have to zoom in before you knew what it was? Were you looking out for something like this? I might have missed it if I was doing street view on that street.
I was actually using Street View down that road to try to pinpoint where I'd seen my own Gila at the park. At first I thought it might be a piece of cholla wood or something, but once I got to the closer pics it was clearly a Gila.
Brian Hubbs wrote:Absolutely counts. Enter it in naherp.com...or I will... :) And, while looking for yours I found my own Gila in the park...and a Mohave...thanks for the idea...
Feel free to enter it, not like I had anything to do with actually taking the picture :)

Out of curiosity, hat makes you think that's a Mojave and not a Western Diamond-back? The latter seem a lot more common in Saguaro in my experience and that picture's way too low-res for any of the diagnostic features I know to look out for.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Knormal wrote: Out of curiosity, hat makes you think that's a Mojave and not a Western Diamond-back? The latter seem a lot more common in Saguaro in my experience and that picture's way too low-res for any of the diagnostic features I know to look out for.
Yeah, I tried saving the image and blowing it up, but it just gets grainier from there. I'm guessing Brian is going by the tail bands - if you have a vivid imagination (like Brian and I), the blacks do look a bit narrower and more "mojaveish". :lol:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I'm insane jealous that you have a park with gilas so rampant that you can peep multiple on Google streetview. :lol:

Definitely enter it. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be valid data.
Tadd K.

Post by Tadd K. »

Neat! I've never seen anything like that before on street view :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Knormal wrote:
Ross Padilla wrote:That is amazing! Good catch. Did you have to zoom in before you knew what it was? Were you looking out for something like this? I might have missed it if I was doing street view on that street.
I was actually using Street View down that road to try to pinpoint where I'd seen my own Gila at the park. At first I thought it might be a piece of cholla wood or something, but once I got to the closer pics it was clearly a Gila.
Brian Hubbs wrote:Absolutely counts. Enter it in naherp.com...or I will... :) And, while looking for yours I found my own Gila in the park...and a Mohave...thanks for the idea...
Feel free to enter it, not like I had anything to do with actually taking the picture :)

Out of curiosity, hat makes you think that's a Mojave and not a Western Diamond-back? The latter seem a lot more common in Saguaro in my experience and that picture's way too low-res for any of the diagnostic features I know to look out for.
It was a mistake. My co-author, Brendan O'Connor told me it is a Diamondback. I corrected my entry in the database. The image was so bad I couldn't tell...but the neck area looked more like a Mohave when I looked at a different view of it...Brendan said that didn't matter, it was a D-back... :o
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

OK, that's it Brian! Just when I was siding with you :( Sigh, and I gotta admit, I've seen a LOT more mojaves on Ajo Way than in the SNP itself.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

;)