Question re LP Michigan this coming weekends

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

blacktara

Question re LP Michigan this coming weekends

Post by blacktara »

I am going to Michigan this week. Gonna be visiting some nonherping friends and going to the NASCAR race on Sunday, but also have two and half days set aside to do some herping (Thursday afternoon and pretty much all day Friday and Saturday.

My primary target is to to see and photograph an eastern sauga, which is one of the last American rattlesnakes I have yet to see in the wild. Beyond that, I would like to see a fox snake, maybe some eastern hoggies, and then whatever else there is to see (dare I even mention a Kirtland's).

I have a good herping friend in Wisconsin who was supposed to come over and join me. However, his recent Arizona trip ended up being a lot more expensive than he had planned, because of am unfortunate car vs deer incident, so he isn't going to be able to make it.

Between talking to him (he knows a couple of Michigan people) and doing my own research, I have spots already in mind. I am not asking for locales. But herping all alone far from home kinda sucks and I am always up to meeting new people from new places

Having said all that, my first question is if there is anyone local there that would be willing to meet up with me for a while.

I also have a question about one particular spot that I would like to have answered, bit would prefer to do it via pm so as to avoid naming it on the open forum - pm me anyone who would be willing to answer that one.

Thanks in advance
jason folt

Re: Question re LP Michigan this coming weekends

Post by jason folt »

Unfortunately, I just saw this. I am curious how you did though? August is a tough time of the year in the lower state.

Jason
blacktara

Post by blacktara »

Not bad. Got three lifers. A sauga, a wood frog, and a blue spotted salamander. Also saw several garter snakes.
jcb59

Post by jcb59 »

Careful with the Blue spot identification. There are a lot more hybrid salamanders than diploid blue spotted salamanders.