Cambodia ID Request

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

Cambodia ID Request

Post by mtratcliffe »

All,

My sister is currently in Cambodia (Koh Rong Island) and is keeping an eye out for herps on my behalf. Here are a few photos she sent over that I could use an ID on.

Is this an Asian Common Toad (Duttaphrynus melanostictus)?
Asian Toad.jpg
Long-tailed Sun Skink (Eutropis longicaudata)?
Cambodia Lizard 1.jpg
Frog - not even sure of the genus.
Cambodia Frog.jpg
I may have more to add in the coming days as I'm sure she'll see more there and in Thailand. Also, I have a recording of several frogs calling if any of you have an ear for SE Asia anurans. I'll email the file if need be.

Thanks!

- Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
numpty

Re: Cambodia ID Request

Post by numpty »

Yup, the first is Duttaphrynus melanostictus, the last is a Polypedates, either leucomystax or megacephalus ... I'm not sure which is the dominant species in Cambodia; it's rather a confusing genus.

Not sure about the skink, though your guess looks reasonable.
mtratcliffe

Re: Cambodia ID Request

Post by mtratcliffe »

numpty wrote:Yup, the first is Duttaphrynus melanostictus, the last is a Polypedates, either leucomystax or megacephalus ... I'm not sure which is the dominant species in Cambodia; it's rather a confusing genus.

Not sure about the skink, though your guess looks reasonable.
Thanks for the response! I was able to get a few people familiar with Cambodia to chime in on Facebook. One suggested that the frog is indeed P. leucomystax. It seems that species is very widespread and somewhat variable.

As for the skink, I was told (with a high degree of certainty) that it is Sphenomorphus maculatus (Spotted Forest Skink).