Advice herping in Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

damienesquerre

Advice herping in Florida

Post by damienesquerre »

Hi all,
I am in Florida for a week, more specifically in New Smyrna Beach, near Daytona.
Any advice on good places to go herping or anyone keen to go with me? I haven't seen much of the local stuff besides a couple of rat snakes and alligators, but would love to see any rattlesnake, coral snake, corn snake, etc...
Thanks a lot in advance!
Damien
mtratcliffe

Re: Advice herping in Florida

Post by mtratcliffe »

damienesquerre wrote:Hi all,
I am in Florida for a week, more specifically in New Smyrna Beach, near Daytona.
Any advice on good places to go herping or anyone keen to go with me? I haven't seen much of the local stuff besides a couple of rat snakes and alligators, but would love to see any rattlesnake, coral snake, corn snake, etc...
Thanks a lot in advance!
Damien
Damien,

Welcome to the Forums! This time of year, it's very hot and humid in FL during the daytime. You can turn up turtles and gators in most bodies of water, but you'll have to seek out snakes either in the morning or evening/night. Roadcruising is great this time of year. Find a stretch of road near you that goes through several miles of undeveloped land, such as pinewoods or prairie. Start driving about 30 minutes before sunset, and just go back and forth until you get tired. That's the best way to find snakes this time of year. If it has rained in the afternoon/evening, as it often does in FL this time of year, then you may be more likely to find frogs thank snakes.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

- Matt
damienesquerre

Post by damienesquerre »

Thanks Matt!!
I tried a few roads last night but no success, just a couple of frogs. I have done a lot or road cruising in Australia and I know it's hit and miss! Is there any famous good road not too far from Daytona or Orlando?
Thanks again!!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Damien, Matt's suggestions are good.

It's not good form to ask specific locations on this forum, but, even if someone shares a spot with you, there are many other factors that lead to success (e.g. target species, temperature, humidity, moon phase, season, etc.), and even the best road may have nights that are exceptionally good or exceptionally bad.

PS
You may get better response if you introduced yourself, explain your motives for herping that area, and maybe even refering to

http://www.desquerre.com/research.html
damienesquerre

Post by damienesquerre »

Hi Bill, thanks for the advice!
I know herping is never a guarantee for sure! I will introduce myself:
My name is Damien Esquerré, native of Chile and now working in research in pythons and Liolaemus lizards from Chile, based in Australia.
I am in Florida visiting relatives and I always enjoy herping and specifically doing photography (see my website www.desquerre.com).
I understand the motives for not sharing good herping spots especially in public forums. However, I just want to take photos and see some charismatic species I haven't seen like cotton mouths, rattlesnakes, etc... if anyone is keen in taking me out in the area (I would also be happy to pay for it) or sharing a particularly good spot please and would rather keep it private please write me to [email protected].
Thanks again!!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

email sent from BillMcgNAFHA