Peterson FIeld Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

walk-about

Peterson FIeld Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians 2016

Post by walk-about »

Powell, Conant and Collins - Peterson Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians of Eastern and Central North America 4th addition : 1958, 1975, 1991 and 2016 ..... Twenty-five years in the making, er actually 75 or better if we wanted to get specific.

Still getting used to this one. Lots to mention here but I will only touch on details of most obvious to me. Was wanting some feedback from some of you about pros and cons and critiques.

122 non-native species including Boa Constrictor, Wall and House Gecks, Veiled Chameleons, Sun Skinks, Rock Agamas, etc. WoW! The Mediterannean Gecko's distribution is alarming and concerning as with all of these others. But nothing more alarming than the Burmese Pythons. Kill them all.

It was interesting to see the Alligator Snapping Turtle as now three 'temminckii', 'suwanniensis', and 'apalachicolae'.

Glad to see the Scarlet Kingsnake finally recognized as its own species (YES) and much of this based upon our research here in KY. ...and the map refelctive of a fairly accurate distribution for once.

The head patterns of the Graptemys genus on page 202 and 209 I found very impressive!!

THanks,

'walk-about'
Dave Frymire
Coluber Constrictor

Re: Peterson FIeld Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians 2016

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Most complaints will be attributed to the publisher: smaller illustrations are due to the colored border to each plate, very uneven map sizes, and loss of most of the natural history to maintain standard pagination.

I also like the maps, and because Bob asked me to review those for Louisiana, I have no complaints about accuracy. Travis Taggart did a great job producing the maps, and the full-sized copies are still on the CNAH website.

The English and scientific names match those used by the latest Crother list, except for "Cuban Flat-headed Frog." I guess someone was offended by the word "greenhouse."

Jeff
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I prefer the 1998 version, but I will admit that the addition of newly described taxa (the Salamanders for example) and non-natives/invasives is a good touch. I disagree on some of the maps and some of the taxonomic decisions made. I can elaborate if requested.

– Justin