Orange County BioRAP

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nature Nate

Orange County BioRAP

Post by Nature Nate »

The next and final Orange county herp BioRAP is almost here. On the 27th we will inventory Fremont and Weir Canyons in the morning and late afternoon. We’re hoping to see some increased crepuscular herp activity during these times.

WHEN: Saturday 27th, 8:00am (yes, we changed the time) and 4:00pm

WHERE: We are still figuring out the details about where we are entering the Weir Canyon, but right now we plan on meeting at the Albertson’s parking lot: 8440 E Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92867 (33.792230° -117.763136°) before continuing on to the gates.

From the parking lot we will Caravan over to the Fremont Canyon staging area and carpool to our separate destinations along Coal Rd. We will take a break for lunch around noon at Subway after surveying Fremont Canyon. At 4:00pm we will reconvene to survey Weir Canyon. Hopefully by taking a midday break we will be able to avoid the heat of the day and find both diurnal and crepuscular species (phrynosoma, geckos, boas, long nose, lyre, etc). There are plenty of attractions in the Irvine regional park to fill the time including the Orange County Zoo, turtle ponds, a train ride, and a variety of other attractions for Memorial Day weekend.

Right now I need an RSVP from everybody. Please let me know if you can make it to both morning and afternoon/evening surveys and how many people will be in your party.

Check out the iNaturalist page for all the pictures from the past surveys: http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/nat ... erp-biorap

Fire Drake

Re: Orange County BioRAP

Post by Fire Drake »

To any who are attending...I am in need of a ride if possible. I live near the meeting spot. Please PM me if you are able to help. Thank you all!
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

New meeting time in the AM: 8:00 in the parking lot
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Just wanted to say thanks to Nate for setting up and running a great event. I had tons of fun and learned a great deal. I hope everyone else enjoyed it half as much as I did!