Eastern kingsnake with possible fungal infection

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

Eastern kingsnake with possible fungal infection

Post by Zach Cava »

I found my first eastern kingsnake the other day in the NJ pine barrens. It was a cool, windy, and overcast day, so I was surprised to see this juvenile snake out and about. Upon closer inspection I noticed the animal was covered in sores/blisters. Is fungal disease common among eastern kings? I know snakes sometimes emerge from brumation with minor skin lesions that clear up after shedding, but I'm curious if this is something more detrimental, and if so, should I report it somewhere? Thanks!

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula getula) by Zachary Cava, on Flickr

http://www.zacharycava.net
Ronquillo08

Re: Eastern kingsnake with possible fungal infection

Post by Ronquillo08 »

That does not look fungal it most likely is lesions that will clear up. I am not an expert, so if questionable contact DNR and show them the pictures.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I agree that it doesn't look like SFD, but for those interested in reporting suspected cases:

https://www.fs.fed.us/inside-fs/new-her ... eationists
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its August, out of season for blistering due to inactivity in a moist space. Unless it was found in a well or something.

It could be a mild trauma from being roughed up by a predator or human idiot right before a shed.

I had a king brought to me with similar that also included abscess in mouth cavity, it had been trapped in shallow water, in an estuary drain for an indeterminate time.

But any derm irregularity right now should be reported, imo.

Infections of all kinds have stages and can present variably.

The first thing I thought of was a small snippet specimen taken to authorities, or even the whole snake. I dont know the legistics of that though.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I wanted to look at snake closer and see it was bump from posted May. But still I wonder and would be troubled seeing any skin disruptions these days.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

The snake was posted in May Kelly...those are normal hibernation blisters that clear up within the first two sheds...
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Kelly Mc wrote:I wanted to look at snake closer and see it was bump from posted May. But still I wonder and would be troubled seeing any skin disruptions these days.
Uh.. yeah. The R side of the post clipped from view (the Date) Brian which is what my above post meant. :roll:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Any breach in the dermis, especially involving a significant plane of surface area, as in what occurs in blistering, inherently creates greater susceptibility to pathogenic agents be they fungal, bacterial, viral.

It isnt a king snake thing, a snake thing or even a herp thing, but a disease thing.

So what is normal might have consequences per infected contact. The timing is troubling too because Spring is rife for Contact.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

And yeah Brian I know the snake is a baby - just making a more general comment about the fungal issue.
Ronquillo08

Post by Ronquillo08 »

Here are some recent pictures of a Juvenile Eastern Milk with snake fungal disease out of W.V.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Interestingly enough 4.Pathogenesis describes the dermis breach susceptibility dynamic of my previous post, and I just accessed it.

http://pricelab.ca.uky.edu/files/lorch_et_al._2016.pdf