RFI: Florida Invasives

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

J-Miz

RFI: Florida Invasives

Post by J-Miz »

I will be heading down to southern Florida at the end of the month with my dad, pretty much exclusively for wildlife finding and photography (I'm a huge bird dork). Mostly, I am interested in native species but admittedly it will be hard to entirely pass on south Florida's vast collection of non-native species. That will seem odd when you consider I'm constantly trying to find ways to deter starlings and house sparrows from the backyard feeder setup, both invasive pests! Nonetheless, despite the ecological concerns it still is hard to pass on potential sightings of brown basilisk, knight anoles, chameleons, pythons, monitors, agamas, etc. And no, I haven't forgotten about the macaws, parakeets, mynah, and swamphens, but this is a herping forum!

Although non-native, I see that some species are harder than others to get exact localities for potential observation. Most notably, the chameleons and day geckos (not surprisingly, they are so cool!). I have, through online research, found a couple localities that might produce. I won't mention those locations here, and am willing to discuss via PM or email if anyone chooses to do so. My biggest concern is safety. I have heard that collectors can be quite aggressive with their sweet spots, and I'm not looking to bump heads with anybody on this trip. That said, most species I see are pretty widespread around Fort Lauderdale down to Miami, and city parks may be a good bet for a collection of widespread invasives.

I guess I don't have any specific questions, and I don't want to tick anybody off by asking for info, especially since I've been rather inactive on the forum for quite some time! But if anybody wants to chat about south Florida wildlife in general, I'm game. I've never been, and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Thanks!
-Jared
BillMcGighan

Re: RFI: Florida Invasives

Post by BillMcGighan »

I have no problem giving out locations for non-natives.
PM me for specific, pretty-much-guaranteed locations for Agamas and Basilisks in Martin County.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

PM incoming!

To be honest, however, I don't know if we will make it that far north. I don't have a set itinerary, but there are a few spots I would like to hit.

We are flying in Thursday, May 25 late, and returning home late on Tuesday the 30th. I plan on hitting the Everglades as well as the Fort Myers area (Sanibel's Ding Darling NWR and Corkscrew Swamp) as well as around Fort Lauderdale (Green Cay Wetlands and Wakodahatchee). I cannot plan too strictly; I just sort of go with the flow and if I like a spot, I'll stick around.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Be mindful of the heat - it will feel like the middle of the summer down there at the end of May, if not already. Invasives are all over the Miami area - public parks might be good spots to check. Doesn't need any particular habitat, really.

Good luck!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

When I replied to your PM, J-Miz, I got the following error message:

"Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt."

Need to change your settings.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Mtratcliffe- Thanks for the info amd warning on the heat. My biggest fear is exactly that- oppressive heat and humidity. We will be wandering around and just getting hotel rooms each night; it probably would have been better to rent a home and use it as a base for the trip (i.e. be active early and late and use the midday for napping or a cool-off in the pool). I might need a vacation after this vacation just to recover!

And as for private messaging, on my phone now I cannot find the setting. Until I get home from work tonight, anyone can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks all!