Lifer King Cobra

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

Lifer King Cobra

Post by LouB747 »

I was on a facetime video call to my family in California when I found it. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was gold!

ADCIII

Re: Lifer King Cobra

Post by ADCIII »

Marvelous, do all kings look that specatular or was that a once in a lifetime find. Yes, right up there with the blue coral. Art
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Beautiful, Lou!!!!

Thank you it was great seeing a video of a King with all gifts left intact and addressed honorably.

I would have loved to watch you help the King out, that would have been wonderful but the yellow raincoat guy there set him down nice, it was a relief. I know it could have been quite a different movie if you saw him fling the snake, or any other lousy thing. You give off a vibe of pure security - people are safe with you and so are snakes.

Thank you Lou, I bet your King in the rain is only the first of more to come.
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

What an amazing thing to get to experience. Your video made my day - thanks.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Great video Lou, pretty exciting experience. Thanks for the post.
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Very cool story/video!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Mark Brown wrote:What an amazing thing to get to experience. Your video made my day - thanks.
What he said :thumb: Awesome looking snake! great footage :thumb: Thanks for letting us experience it with you
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Great! I know how that feels! By the way, those Kings from northern regions look so different.
numpty

Post by numpty »

Congratulations. What a great feeling that must have been! A beautiful snake.

I can feel your trepidation towards the end of the video. Who was the man; were you able to glean his motives? Maybe he was a local herp enthusiast, suspicious of what you were up to with your newfangled Facebook Live and all?

I didn't watch the video in super hi-def ... was that a rake he was wielding?
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks for support guys.

MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Gorgeous!
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Really GREAT vid Lou - Nice job ...!
Field Herper

Post by Field Herper »

Great find Lou and good job videoing and sharing it.
Who was the bloke in the yellow coat? Did he work there?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Truly Awesome!
mfb

Post by mfb »

This is a great video - you really carried us along on the adventure with you. Thanks for sharing it.
Rags

Post by Rags »

Wow, congratulations.

All those hours spent in the dark, soaked to the skin in sweat, repeating the mantra - "I'm going to find something in a minute!"
That King Cobra is the pay off. I'm pleased for you and glad you shared it on here. Well done mate.

Ray.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

The guy that "interrupted" was just a local guy. In the end, we had the same goal, to save the snake. He was really rude and wouldn't acknowledge me at all. I tried to not let is ruin the experience. I did spend almost an hour with the snake, mostly in the rain though.
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Wow, you've outdone yourself with this one Lou!

Fantastic video and amazing find.
Gabri Mtnez

Post by Gabri Mtnez »

Wow Lou! That moment is amazing. I was preying to have that moment in Singapore or Langkawi but it never happened! There are no other snakes so impressive and elegance like the king

The guy that interrupted you look like a gardener that all days have to rescue a couple of king cobras of the channel! He did it so natural that seems like a job :lol:
stoker

Post by stoker »

Thanks for sharing that LouB747, it was really nice. Congratulations
durissus

Post by durissus »

Great find ... WOW , a KIng Cobra in the wild ! But I dont see what the problem was with the guy rescuing the snake from the canal ... what was wrong with him putting the snake back into the forest ? He seemed like he did this a hundred time before .... even was prepared with a 'hook' long enough to rteach to the bottom of the canal. I'd have shaken his hand. How many people would heve saved a King Cobra ?
regalringneck

Post by regalringneck »

...dittoe on the mega grats & i too saw no problem w/ the dude moving it, other than you were there 1st & asked him not to, but as thin as it was, it looks to me like it myte have been there for awhile & needed a break, steep sided canals trap & kill a lot of different critters worldwide : {
KC's are on my top 5 worldwide for sure, but i still think your blue corales are @ least tied for #1 : }
rxr
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yeah, I saw that guy earlier. I told him to wait until I was done videoing. The rain sort of drove him off, but he came back once it stopped. I had about 10 mins recording time left and wanted to get more footage! I would have removed the snake. That said, I believe it was in there actively hunting other snakes. It could have easily climbed up one of the many ladders in there.
btomsheck

Post by btomsheck »

Yeah the king! When I met my first one 15 years ago I was smitten. Indigos were my favorites but there is nothing that comes close to a king. They are truly the "king of the jungle". I have been told that nothing really wants to mess with a king in the wild including tigers ; that is once they have survived to a substantial size. I have experienced things with captive born kings that seemed to me that they are animals of "respect" kind of like raising an alligator from birth. They know you and expect to be treated with dignity and respect. I have had the blessing of being able to spend hundreds of hours with individuals and I believe they know me, trust me and know their lives depend on my relationship with them. I never cross a line of possible foolishness. Who knows when they may be having a bad day or whatever . Think about the behavior of humans. We don't have venom or jaws as they do
so with that said I have always been captivated by their calm sense of taking care of business when the situation arises. The calmness can change in a blink of an eye if needed and that's just their inherited gifts for surviving in this dangerous world. They are one of a kind and extremely special.