My 2017 so far...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RenoBart

My 2017 so far...

Post by RenoBart »

This year, I promised myself I would make an effort to get out more this spring and herp. April and May are ALWAYS horrible months for me due to a variety of family and work obligations that always seem to occupy the two best herping months of the year where I live. Anyway, I've managed to steal away a bit already and I am hoping I can do more in May.

For work, I had to take a trip to Houston, TX, and thanks to some herp help from MAbernathy, I was able to see some animals for a few hours on a Sunday morning.

River Cooter I believe.

Tough to see, but a nice 18" snapper down there. I would have dove in for her but the creek edge was about a 5' drop and I had my DSLR rig strapped on so..

Rough Earth Snake! A lifer for me which was really cool. Little bugger was damn near impossible to photograph. So tiny and fast!

Ribbon as found under a log.

Same Ribbon

Lots and lots of turtles, which I miss terribly.

As I approached the shoreline of a drainage ditch I spotted a little snake hurry into the water. It tried to hide in a drainage tile but...

Nice young Nerodia...

Typical behavior.

So many turtles.

Cricket Frog I believe.

Southern Leopard.

Bronze Frog, another animal I have never seen!

I found this poor frog in the parking lot of the warehouse where I was working. I'm guessing Bullfrog based on the size but it was obviously difficult to tell.

That sums up 4 hours in Houston, TX, thanks again Mike!!

Next up was a spot in Sonoma County, CA. I had the morning to hit this area and I was really thinking I was gonna get skunked as it was rainy and cold (48F). I did not get skunked, however I did see an actual skunk, which was also cool.

Lots of sleepy lizards were flipped.

My favorite kind of invert.

Pac Ring in situ under a piece of rotting plywood.

Another Pacific Ringneck as found, this one was TINY.

As found next to a rock I moved.

So many skinks.

Lots with stumpy tails too.

Ahhhh yes.

My guess is adult male. Very cold and barely moved.

Quick vid: https://youtu.be/mHSIShuKZTs

Another gator.

The herping buggy.

That's all for now. I have plans to get out and hit the Sierras in May at some point for Mountain Kings! Hopefully 2017 will be my year.

Bart
DMcDiarmid

Re: My 2017 so far...

Post by DMcDiarmid »

Pretty sure I have the same gloves! Lol. I'm liking them so far.

Cool shots...I especially like the algae-covered turtle. Good luck with zonatas! Capitalize on this rain!

Dylan
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

DMcDiarmid wrote:Pretty sure I have the same gloves! Lol. I'm liking them so far.

Cool shots...I especially like the algae-covered turtle. Good luck with zonatas! Capitalize on this rain!

Dylan
Yeah, I think we're going to be good into June for zonata. I am hoping to get out within the next couple weeks.

Thanks,
Bart
Still BT

Post by Still BT »

With a rig like that, you better be on T4R too!

Are you?

I too am hoping to get out to see a Zonata before it gets too warm. It's definitely warming quite quickly, which stinks. April was too cool and May was too busy for me. :/
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Still BT wrote:With a rig like that, you better be on T4R too!

Are you?

I too am hoping to get out to see a Zonata before it gets too warm. It's definitely warming quite quickly, which stinks. April was too cool and May was too busy for me. :/
I am on T4R but I don't post a ton up there. I suppose I could do a thread about my rig at some point though...

Here's a quick pic from this past weekend's trip in Northwestern NV.

I'm hoping to go out for zonata one last time this weekend and see if I can get lucky...

Bart