#2 on the year...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MSD

#2 on the year...

Post by MSD »

Don't know if this will work, I've never tried to post a video here before, but this guy was loud. Really loud. I heard it from the street, and it was under a tree about 50 yards away BEHIND my house on a small hill. Still don't know what set it off, but he was ready to go at it. And it really didn't like the tongs ... just saying.

http://vid693.photobucket.com/albums/vv ... er%202.mp4
(For some reason the video is playing at a right 90 degree angle. And I cannot figure out how to edit it within Photobucket. Sorry...)

This is the 2nd in 2 weeks - here's the first one that greated me at my truck as I was getting ready to go to work.

I am thinking that this is going to be a busy year in my neighborhood...
Pets101

Re: #2 on the year...

Post by Pets101 »

Very cool. From previous posts I remember you are located near Westlake Village. I have seen tons of dor snakes in that area this month but only one living one.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Pets101 wrote:Very cool. From previous posts I remember you are located near Westlake Village. I have seen tons of dor snakes in that area this month but only one living one.
South edge of Simi Valley, actually. Nothing but open hills between us and Agoura Hills. Lots and lots of open space. We get all kinds of creatures in our yard, from the herps to Gray Foxes to Roadrunners to the usual Raccoons and Opossums. Even had a coyotoe stare me down in the street from about 25 feet away while I was getting in my car to leave one early AM. Not aggressive at all, just a kind of "oh - I see we're both up early today" thing.

Interestingly enough, looking at NPS GPS data on their Mountain Lions, we had one of them within a 1/4 mile of our house on several occasions, although it could have been in my yard and I wouldn't have know about it.
craigb

Post by craigb »

It's going to be an epic year for herps. A buddy of mine texted me a pic of a 4-5ft gopher in a busy intersection of Eastvale last Friday night. There were housing tracts on three sides, and some farm land on one corner.

I'd post the pic but it has the street signs with the exact location. So TMI......

It got relocated in an area with less traffic a few miles away.