Missouri herpetologist visit to California

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

carlg

Missouri herpetologist visit to California

Post by carlg »

I am a herpetologist from Missouri hoping for contacts from this forum and some help during a visit to southern California (from 17-30 April). I want to see amphibians and reptiles in the field and to try for video (with fishing license to legally pose them if necessary – no collecting, release at capture site). I have some academic contacts already, but folks on this forum seem to be willing to help responsible individuals. I would also prefer flipping boards rather than natural objects if that is possible.

About me: I was in southern California some years ago getting photos and recordings for our book (Lang Elliott, Carl Gerhardt, Carlos Davidson: Frogs and Toads of North America), but that trip was strictly focused on frogs. I recently retired from the University of Missouri, where I taught herpetology for many years and now have a chance to chase wildlife at the right times of year in interesting places. I used my own video in classes, and I want to pass those and any new ones along to my new colleague who will teach herpetology in a year or so. Samples of my video are at natureviewmedia.com Note that while I offer to sell footage and I have done so, I am NOT trying to make money and so far my total sales might pay for food and lodging for a trip or two. In fact, I am more interested in making some small productions, something like to featured video (home page) about poison-dart frogs in Peru.

So my plans are to rent a small SUV at LAX this coming Monday afternoon and wing it from there - though I will communicate with my contacts in San Diego about times and places that are convenient for them. So if you are willing to help you can email me at [email protected]

Carl Gerhardt

PS I am also keen to get video of birds and other wildlife.
RobertH

Re: Missouri herpetologist visit to California

Post by RobertH »

I am going to send you an e-mail right now.

Robert