Peru

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

infidel

Peru

Post by infidel »

After walking around for two plus hours in the jungle near Puerto Maldonado, Peru at night looking for tree frogs, I gave up and went back to my hut. There sitting by my window was this guy...no idea what type (learning my peruvian herps)
While out walking around I kept hearing these little chirping frogs under the undergrowth. Every once in a while I'd see one for a split second before he went back down a hole or under some ground little. Frustrated, the next one I heard, I recorded with my phone for 30 seconds then looked for the frog. As usual, the second I saw him, he was gone. So, I took out the phone, laid it on the ground and played his own chirping back to him and out he came. I guess he's a little territorial :)
Pale-Striped Poison Dart Frog - Epipedobates hahneli
Earlier in the day, I was acutally looking for ants and scorpions to photo and flipped this guy under an old palm log:
Giant Ameiva - Ameiva ameiva

A couple of hours south to a little village called Inapari on the Brazilian border I found this toad...again, I have no idea what it is.

Non-herps disclosure: The following are non-herps
Every night at my hut in the jungle near Puerto Maldonado this guy was waiting on me and would climb on my shoulder for short jaunts around the jungle looking for photo subjects; Peruvian night Monkey:
One thing that was abundant in the Jungle were these pink-toed Tarantulas. It seemed every other tree had them:
Right on the Acre River seperating Peru and Brazil, I found this odd looking ant, Camponotus mirabilis:
Lastly, two cool looking b-flys in the Tambopata Jungle near Puerto Maldonado:
Green-Banded Urania - Urania leilus
and a (bad photo) Periander metalmark - Rhetus periander
And my favorite find of the trip thus far, Giant RIver Otter - Pteronura brasiliensis
I hope someone familiar with SA herps can chime in to tell me what type of toad and frog thise are.

JP
John Martin

Re: Peru

Post by John Martin »

Great pics! That Urania leilus is a spectacular butterfly. I'm noticing that portions of the right and left wings appear to have different color patterns. I know there is a genetic anomaly called bilateral gynandromorphism, but that usually refers in butterflies as being male patterned on one side and female patterned on the other. Just wondering whether or not the specimen you photographed is "different" in some respect...
infidel

Post by infidel »

John Martin wrote:Great pics! That Urania leilus is a spectacular butterfly. I'm noticing that portions of the right and left wings appear to have different color patterns. I know there is a genetic anomaly called bilateral gynandromorphism, but that usually refers in butterflies as being male patterned on one side and female patterned on the other. Just wondering whether or not the specimen you photographed is "different" in some respect...
Thank you!, I don't know. I was assuming it was the lighting that caused that. Quien Sabe..
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

I thought about lighting too, but the colors just seemed too different. It could make sense since the wings are at different angles to the light. Like you said, "quien sabe?". I'm probably just off on a bout of wishful thinking that it might be something special :-).
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Those river otters must have been a real treat and it looks like you got some good views. The second butterfly is stunning.

I believe your treefrog is Trachycephalus typhonius (was venulosus) and your toad is a Cane toad Rhinella marinus
infidel

Post by infidel »

John Martin wrote:I thought about lighting too, but the colors just seemed too different. It could make sense since the wings are at different angles to the light. Like you said, "quien sabe?". I'm probably just off on a bout of wishful thinking that it might be something special :-).
You might be 100% right, I'll have to scan through my photos for a second look now.
infidel

Post by infidel »

Kfen wrote:Those river otters must have been a real treat and it looks like you got some good views. The second butterfly is stunning.

I believe your treefrog is Trachycephalus typhonius (was venulosus) and your toad is a Cane toad Rhinella marinus
Great, thanks! The river otters were awesome to see. I was actually wondering if that was a cane toad but the tree frog, I had no idea. Thanks again.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Your two amphibians look like Trachycephalus typhonius (Pepper Treefrog, Amazon Milk Frog, several common names) and Rhinella marina (Cane Toad).
infidel

Post by infidel »

DanW wrote:Your two amphibians look like Trachycephalus typhonius (Pepper Treefrog, Amazon Milk Frog, several common names) and Rhinella marina (Cane Toad).
Thanks
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I didn't see as many herps as I would have thought around PM either but the mammals were excellent including petting a tapir :)
infidel

Post by infidel »

stlouisdude wrote:I didn't see as many herps as I would have thought around PM either but the mammals were excellent including petting a tapir :)
I didn't even see a tapir, that woulda been cool. I was disappointed in the lack of herps too but it was the rainy season so anywhere we went was walking and slogging through mud. We're going back soon, maybe it will be dryer and more herps. We're also headed To Iquitos soon I've got high hopes over there.
durissus

Post by durissus »

Great shots ! What set up ( macro and ex. tubes ? ) did you use for the ant and what lens fro the Otter ?
infidel

Post by infidel »

durissus wrote:Great shots ! What set up ( macro and ex. tubes ? ) did you use for the ant and what lens fro the Otter ?
Thanks, For the ant, or was a Canon 7dmk2 with Canon 100mm macro. The flash was a Godox ttl flash connected with a ttl cable hand held at different angles. The otters were the same camera with a Canon 400mm 5.6l, natural light.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Oh wow I had a Douroucouli when I was a kid. She would catch flies and moths casually with perfect timing and liked her underarms scratched. She would make beautiful, delicate calls with a click and I feel like my heart fell down when i scrolled and saw that face. Wow i really am getting old remembering some things does feel so like falling.