Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Neuroethology of Toads

Post by Kelly Mc »

mfb

Re: Neuroethology of Toads

Post by mfb »

These are great videos, thanks for sharing!

I think I will use them next time I teach my undergraduate herpetology class. The ability to watch the toad respond (or not) to different stimuli, and the nerve responses associated with the stimuli, provides a really compelling addition to just reading the scientific papers.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Im happy you appreciated it. Anuran appetite helps makes the toad a great subject for what are probably convergent, broadly shared operatives. Really clear.

Im so happy you are thinking of sharing it.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Mike I was checking out your website and I really enjoyed it.

What is it like to teach Herpetology? Do you have the freedom to create the curriculum yourself? I hope so as you do great justice to your subjects. You excite.
mfb

Post by mfb »

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the kind comments on the website, I really appreciate it! I am slowly adding more sections, usually based on questions people email to me. The part I am working on now is a FAQ about why and how frogs call; it should be added in a couple weeks.

It is great to be able to teach herpetology! The curriculum is entirely up to me, as long as it is reasonable (I would have some trouble if I tried to teach dance for the herp class). The students at CWRU are really fantastic. Regardless of whether they want to go on to a career in herpetology (very few students) or medicine, computer programming, law, etc, the students are almost all engaged, enthusiastic and hard-working. Having great students makes it fun and easy to teach the class.

My goal in the herpetology class is for student to learn how different types of biological research (e.g., systematics, evolution, neurobiology, physiology, ecology...) are done, while using amphibians and reptiles as model organisms. We also learn a bit about fish, mammals, birds and dinosaurs to put reptiles and amphibians in an evolutionary context (e.g., similarities in reproductive behavior and airflow in lungs btwn birds and crocodilians). So our in-class activities and laboratory activities are largely built around developing and testing hypotheses. For example, the first lab exercise involves students developing hypotheses about tadpole ecology, and then conducting experiments with large cages in ponds to test their hypotheses.

Here is a syllabus if you are interested (will open a pdf if you click the link):
CWRU Herpetology Syllabus

Al the best, Mike
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

mfb wrote:Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the kind comments on the website, I really appreciate it! I am slowly adding more sections, usually based on questions people email to me. The part I am working on now is a FAQ about why and how frogs call; it should be added in a couple weeks.

It is great to be able to teach herpetology! The curriculum is entirely up to me, as long as it is reasonable (I would have some trouble if I tried to teach dance for the herp class). The students at CWRU are really fantastic. Regardless of whether they want to go on to a career in herpetology (very few students) or medicine, computer programming, law, etc, the students are almost all engaged, enthusiastic and hard-working. Having great students makes it fun and easy to teach the class.

My goal in the herpetology class is for student to learn how different types of biological research (e.g., systematics, evolution, neurobiology, physiology, ecology...) are done, while using amphibians and reptiles as model organisms. We also learn a bit about fish, mammals, birds and dinosaurs to put reptiles and amphibians in an evolutionary context (e.g., similarities in reproductive behavior and airflow in lungs btwn birds and crocodilians). So our in-class activities and laboratory activities are largely built around developing and testing hypotheses. For example, the first lab exercise involves students developing hypotheses about tadpole ecology, and then conducting experiments with large cages in ponds to test their hypotheses.

Here is a syllabus if you are interested (will open a pdf if you click the link):
CWRU Herpetology Syllabus

Al the best, Mike
Looking forward to your additional sections and thank you for sharing your class. It sounds like a wonderful study experience Thank you for sharing it, Im so glad I asked you :thumb:

Edit to add, I have enjoyed many of the links as well. This evening I opened The Neurology of Toads again, and appreciated the resources you shared