Salamandra infraimmaculata

Post by Evgeny Kotelevsky »

Salamandra infraimmaculata from Carmel mountain, Israel

Adult salamanders:

Salamander tadpoles:

Jimi

Re: Salamandra infraimmaculata

Post by Jimi »

Those are pretty sweet! We don't get a lot of Middle East stuff posted here - thanks.

Got anything to share regarding their life history (e.g., how fast do the larvae leave the water), or the place they live (is that Mt Carmel area a protected nature reserve, or just normally-used as in for grazing, orchards, homes, whatever)? I recall some other Israeli posts on FHF featuring among other things Vipera bornmuelleri. That might have been in the area you got these sallies (???). Or maybe that was Mt. Hebron (???). Obviously I know very little about the area...are you a resident?

cheers
Evgeny Kotelevsky

Re: Salamandra infraimmaculata

Post by Evgeny Kotelevsky »

Jimi wrote:Those are pretty sweet! We don't get a lot of Middle East stuff posted here - thanks.

Got anything to share regarding their life history (e.g., how fast do the larvae leave the water), or the place they live (is that Mt Carmel area a protected nature reserve, or just normally-used as in for grazing, orchards, homes, whatever)? I recall some other Israeli posts on FHF featuring among other things Vipera bornmuelleri. That might have been in the area you got these sallies (???). Or maybe that was Mt. Hebron (???). Obviously I know very little about the area...are you a resident?

cheers
Hello :)

Thanks! I have some more interesting stuff from Israel which I'll share later :) Israel is more popular among birders then herpers, that's why we have a lack of photos from this wonderful country.

Mount Carmel is a protected natural reserve, but it is open for tourists. I have friends in Israel, they helped me to organize several trips to different parts of the country and accompanied me there. I returned with no snakes, 'cause I had only day-tours :)