First Snake of the year and few from 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gary2sons

First Snake of the year and few from 2016

Post by Gary2sons »

February 19th found a ribbon snake while checking our fishless pond for spotted salamanders. A very warm year so far but also very dry. No sign of salamanders yet
Also checked out a sandstone glade on a bluff but really not enough good looking rocks. It was February 7th but did see a lot of turtles out sunning. There were a lot in the water in the first pic! Looked like mostly red-eared sliders. All seems to be large adults.Image

Also saw a black headed vulture which I'm not sure if that is common this time of the year.
Found 3 milksnakes and a garter in April on our property. Placed some roofing shingles under a piece of tin and it paid off big time! Almost dark and had to take a quick pic before they scattered
Only one stayed for a better pic!
A couple nice October finds with a hog-nose and copperhead!
And finally a coupe fence lizards. Was sitting in my truck and looked over and saw this!

Thanks for looking! Hope everyone has a great herping year!

Gary
Soro

Re: First Snake of the year and few from 2016

Post by Soro »

Awesome post Gary! Always good to see another Missouri glade herper post what they find. That set up with the shingles under the tin is a pretty good idea that I would like to try out some time if I ever get the tin and a place to do it.

Did you see any coachwhips last season?
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Thanks for the comment Soro!

Glade herping is a blast! We usually totally concentrate on glades and then our property. Time and time again we come back after a day of herping the glades and find more here! Found a couple trifecta's last year on the property. Prairie kings are the ones most difficult to complete the trifecta!

Only found one juvenile coachwhip last year. On a good year we might find half a dozen adults.

Also haven't found a county record now for several years so hopefully we are due!

Thanks again!

GaryImage
Soro

Post by Soro »

I agree with prairie kings being the least frequently encountered. It's strange, because they are a widespread snake and not rare my any means, I just happen to see a lot more specks and milks comparatively. That said, I only got the trifecta once last year, and what a day it was overall!

When you're talking about county records, do you mean for masticophis specifically or just in general?
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Congrats on your trifecta last year! :thumb:

As far as the county records I was referring to all species. Only have one on the coachwhips.

I have always thought of prairie kings as being a lot more scattered. Very common but sometimes we may go a year and only see one or two.

Good luck this year!

Gary