Houston Texas questions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RenoBart

Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart »

Hey folks, I have never been to Texas before, and I have to go for work at the end of March. I might have a day to go herping while I am there. Being that I know nothing about the area, where within an hour or so would be a good place to herp? I am not asking for any specific locales, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction (N, S, E, W?)

Thanks - Bart
Paul Freed

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by Paul Freed »

Bart,
Houston is really a large city (60 X 40 miles!), so "an hour or so from Houston" may still put you IN Houston. Having said that, it will depend on what types of herps you are looking for. Many species can be found in the city limits (Gulf Coast Toads, Green Anoles, Mediterranean Geckos, Rough Earth Snakes, etc.), but if you're looking for something more 'substantial' then you will have to head out of the city limits. Heading northeast, towards Louisiana, might be a good bet, although it will take more than an hour to reach some desirable herping spots (especially during rush hour, which is usually from 6:00 am - 10 am and again from 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm). Going west, towards San Antonio could also be productive, however, that is more than 2 hours from Houston. Good luck!
-Paul
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Hey Paul, thanks for the feedback. You can tell I am not familiar with the city! ;)

I would mostly be interested in finding some copperheads, maybe hoggies, rat snakes, etc. If I do have a day off from work while I am there, it will be on a Sunday. So I would wake up early and drive out somewhere. It looks like there are some decent green spaces to the NE of the city. But I really have no idea. I am willing to drive up to 2 hours away for some good hiking and herping. I will be staying in the vicinity of Jersey Village, TX 77040, so anywhere with a couple hours of there I am game for. It all depends on my project. Typically I have Sunday off but you never know and I might end up working all day Sunday too, which means no joy for me!

Anyway, thanks.

Bart
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

That's a prime flipping time for East Texas if you don't get unlucky with the weather. Perhaps some of the locals could meet up with you for some field time, put you on some nice garbage. Ha ha. No joke though.

Good hunting!
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Jimi wrote:That's a prime flipping time for East Texas if you don't get unlucky with the weather. Perhaps some of the locals could meet up with you for some field time, put you on some nice garbage. Ha ha. No joke though.

Good hunting!
Yeah, I am totally down to meet up with some folks from the forum, it will all just depend on my work schedule. As I said, I hope to have Sunday off but there is always a chance I will be knee deep in the weeds for the whole weekend. Either way, I will make an effort to get out.

I am likely going to be there two separate weekends in April, and I love flipping trash!! lol

Anyone from Houston who is game to meet up shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Bart
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I live about 45 min driving time NE of where you'll be, but I work 6 days a week, with Sunday being reserved for church and family. Plus, I haven't lived here long enough to find "dependable" sites of my own--unless you're interested in seeing lots of invasive Brown Anoles!
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

chris_mcmartin wrote:I live about 45 min driving time NE of where you'll be, but I work 6 days a week, with Sunday being reserved for church and family. Plus, I haven't lived here long enough to find "dependable" sites of my own--unless you're interested in seeing lots of invasive Brown Anoles!
LOL, yeah, I've seen my fill of brown anoles! Used to live in south Florida! ;)

Thanks, Bart
MAbernathy

Post by MAbernathy »

If it happens to be Sunday, March 26, stop by Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble. I work here and we have some great herping habitat at the park. It'll probably be 30-45 min drive from JV. I will be in the office most of the day, but might be able to join you for a bit. If nothing else, I can at least try and point you in a good direction here.

Cheers
Matt
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

MAbernathy wrote:If it happens to be Sunday, March 26, stop by Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble. I work here and we have some great herping habitat at the park. It'll probably be 30-45 min drive from JV. I will be in the office most of the day, but might be able to join you for a bit. If nothing else, I can at least try and point you in a good direction here.

Cheers
Matt
Thanks, Matt, I will PM you.

Bart