Houston Texas questions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
User avatar
RenoBart
Posts: 349
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart » February 21st, 2017, 9:34 am

Hey folks, I have never been to Texas before, and I have to go for work at the end of March. I might have a day to go herping while I am there. Being that I know nothing about the area, where within an hour or so would be a good place to herp? I am not asking for any specific locales, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction (N, S, E, W?)

Thanks - Bart

User avatar
Paul Freed
Posts: 112
Joined: November 10th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest (Oregon) U.S.

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by Paul Freed » February 21st, 2017, 10:48 am

Bart,
Houston is really a large city (60 X 40 miles!), so "an hour or so from Houston" may still put you IN Houston. Having said that, it will depend on what types of herps you are looking for. Many species can be found in the city limits (Gulf Coast Toads, Green Anoles, Mediterranean Geckos, Rough Earth Snakes, etc.), but if you're looking for something more 'substantial' then you will have to head out of the city limits. Heading northeast, towards Louisiana, might be a good bet, although it will take more than an hour to reach some desirable herping spots (especially during rush hour, which is usually from 6:00 am - 10 am and again from 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm). Going west, towards San Antonio could also be productive, however, that is more than 2 hours from Houston. Good luck!
-Paul

User avatar
RenoBart
Posts: 349
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart » February 21st, 2017, 11:59 am

Hey Paul, thanks for the feedback. You can tell I am not familiar with the city! ;)

I would mostly be interested in finding some copperheads, maybe hoggies, rat snakes, etc. If I do have a day off from work while I am there, it will be on a Sunday. So I would wake up early and drive out somewhere. It looks like there are some decent green spaces to the NE of the city. But I really have no idea. I am willing to drive up to 2 hours away for some good hiking and herping. I will be staying in the vicinity of Jersey Village, TX 77040, so anywhere with a couple hours of there I am game for. It all depends on my project. Typically I have Sunday off but you never know and I might end up working all day Sunday too, which means no joy for me!

Anyway, thanks.

Bart

Jimi
Posts: 1874
Joined: December 3rd, 2010, 12:06 pm

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by Jimi » February 21st, 2017, 12:34 pm

That's a prime flipping time for East Texas if you don't get unlucky with the weather. Perhaps some of the locals could meet up with you for some field time, put you on some nice garbage. Ha ha. No joke though.

Good hunting!

User avatar
RenoBart
Posts: 349
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart » February 21st, 2017, 12:42 pm

Jimi wrote:That's a prime flipping time for East Texas if you don't get unlucky with the weather. Perhaps some of the locals could meet up with you for some field time, put you on some nice garbage. Ha ha. No joke though.

Good hunting!
Yeah, I am totally down to meet up with some folks from the forum, it will all just depend on my work schedule. As I said, I hope to have Sunday off but there is always a chance I will be knee deep in the weeds for the whole weekend. Either way, I will make an effort to get out.

I am likely going to be there two separate weekends in April, and I love flipping trash!! lol

Anyone from Houston who is game to meet up shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Bart

User avatar
chris_mcmartin
Posts: 2433
Joined: June 8th, 2010, 11:13 pm
Location: Greater Houston TX Area
Contact:

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by chris_mcmartin » February 24th, 2017, 8:33 am

I live about 45 min driving time NE of where you'll be, but I work 6 days a week, with Sunday being reserved for church and family. Plus, I haven't lived here long enough to find "dependable" sites of my own--unless you're interested in seeing lots of invasive Brown Anoles!

User avatar
RenoBart
Posts: 349
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart » February 24th, 2017, 8:50 am

chris_mcmartin wrote:I live about 45 min driving time NE of where you'll be, but I work 6 days a week, with Sunday being reserved for church and family. Plus, I haven't lived here long enough to find "dependable" sites of my own--unless you're interested in seeing lots of invasive Brown Anoles!
LOL, yeah, I've seen my fill of brown anoles! Used to live in south Florida! ;)

Thanks, Bart

MAbernathy
Posts: 193
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 9:46 am
Location: Houston

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by MAbernathy » March 21st, 2017, 4:33 am

If it happens to be Sunday, March 26, stop by Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble. I work here and we have some great herping habitat at the park. It'll probably be 30-45 min drive from JV. I will be in the office most of the day, but might be able to join you for a bit. If nothing else, I can at least try and point you in a good direction here.

Cheers
Matt

User avatar
RenoBart
Posts: 349
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Re: Houston Texas questions

Post by RenoBart » March 21st, 2017, 7:33 am

MAbernathy wrote:If it happens to be Sunday, March 26, stop by Jesse Jones Park & Nature Center in Humble. I work here and we have some great herping habitat at the park. It'll probably be 30-45 min drive from JV. I will be in the office most of the day, but might be able to join you for a bit. If nothing else, I can at least try and point you in a good direction here.

Cheers
Matt
Thanks, Matt, I will PM you.

Bart

Post Reply