Travels in New Mexico - Part 1

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mothman

Travels in New Mexico - Part 1

Post by mothman »

As I sit idly by waiting for spring and more herping adventures I thought I would reflect back on our herping trip to New Mexico during monsoon season. My wife and I circumnavigated the state in a counterclockwise direction starting from southwestern New Mexico. We encountered a variety of habitats such as the Chihuahuan desert shown here.

It was monsoon season (August) so isolated thunderstorms were frequent. Grant County, NM

We knew we were in great lizard territory when the local folks have a whiptail lizard prominently portrayed in a mural.

Juvenile Texas Horned Lizard (Phrynosomta cornutum), Grant County, NM.

We also came across a juvenile Eastern Collared Lizard (Crotaphytus collaris), Grant County, NM.

Lesser Earless Lizard (Holbrookia maculata), Grant County, NM.

In the juvenile age group we also encountered a New Mexico Crevice Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus poinsetti poinsetti), Grant County, NM.

Clark's Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus clarkii) was found basking in the early morning sun, Grant County, NM.

Night cruising resulted in a Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox), Grant County, NM.

This Western Diamond-backed Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) was out in the late afternoon prior to dusk, Grant County, NM.

Middle Fork of Gila River, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

New Mexico Crevice Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus poinsetti poinsetti), Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument

New Mexico Crevice Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus poinsetti poinsetti) missing distal part of tail.

Clark's Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus clarkii), Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

Juvenile Sonoran Gopher Snake (Pituophis catenifer affinis), Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

Arizona Toad (Anaxyrus microscaphus), Gila National Forest.

My spouse is wonderful in allowing me to spend our trip looking for herps. However, there were other sights to see such as the cliff dwellings in the national monument.

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus), male at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufous), male at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.Image

Then it was off to the North to El Malpais National Monument. Sandstone cliffs border the black rock lava fields.

Gnarled trunk of Juniper Tree on sandstone cliffs.

Plateau Striped Whiptail Lizard (Aspidoscelis velox), El Malpais National Monument.

This is either a Plateau Fence Lizard (Sceloporus tristichus) or a Southwestern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus cowlesi). These fence lizards look nearly identical and their ranges overlap at this site so positive identification was not possible.

Eastern Collared Lizard (Crotaphytus collaris), female.

Continuing our trek north we went to Bandelier National Monument in Sandoval County, NM.

Rocky Mountain Woodhouse Toad (Anaxyrus woodhousii woodhousii)Image

Greater Short-horned Lizard (Phrynosoma hernandesi
) Image

ImageGreater

Plateau Whiptail (Aspidoscelis velox)

Plateau Fence Lizard (Sceloporus tristichus) or a Southwestern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus cowlesi). The copper coloration in the tail was striking.

Next on the itinerary was a visit to Kasha-Katuwe National Tent Rocks National Monument. The rock formations are incredible.

Checkered Whiptail (Aspidoscelis tesselata) not particularly bothered by my presence.

Checkered Whiptail (Aspidoscelis tesselata) digging for breakfast.

Chihuahua Spotted Whiptail (Aspidoscelis exsanguis)

Plateau Fence Lizard (Sceloporus tristichus) or Southwestern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus cowlesi).Image

Invertebrates did not escape from my camera:

This caterpillar looks like a wire-brush that belongs in a chemistry lab, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

Pleasing Fungus Beetle at Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument

Flame Skimmer (Libellula saturata) at City of Rocks State Park, NM.

Aquatic segmented worm with "vibrissae" at oral end in City of Rocks State Park. The caudal end was attached to the bottom of the pool. When I dislodged a worm from its attachment it would reattach to the bottom and place its vibrissae into the surface tension of the pool. Where these worms breathing the air and possibly using the vibrissae as a food filter? There were about twenty of these worms in this pool. Does anyone have a clue as to its identity?

Furry ant??? Not really. This is a female solitary wasp (Dasymutilla sp.), which lays its eggs in bumble bee nests. The larva of the wasp hatch and eat the bee larva. A similar looking species is the Eastern Velvet Ant. City of Rocks State Park.

Darkling Beetle, El Malpais National Monument.

Grasshopper at City of Rocks State Park. Species??

Three-banded Grasshopper at City of Rocks State Park.

Grasshopper at City of Rocks State Park. Species?

Moth at Rockhound State Park. Species?

The New Mexico trip will be continued in part 2.
Rags

Re: Travels in New Mexico - Part 1

Post by Rags »

Some great photos and variety there. Thanks for posting.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Man ... I want to get back to New Mexico. I was there a few years ago for two weeks near Artesia.
Your pictures take my breath away.

Thanks for posting...
pete

Post by pete »

Both of your posts are amazing! You really captured some wonderful images! The past two times in New Mexico my timing has been poor. It is a fantastic state, I can't wait till May to go back!