Salamander larva ID help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Salamander larva ID help

Post by Noah M »

Repost from the SE chapter. Thought some of you might be able to help.

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=24119
MCHerper

Re: Salamander larva ID help

Post by MCHerper »

Hi Noah. I'm going to do my best to narrow it down but I am not confident that I'll give you a definitive answer (keep in mind I'm used to looking at salamander larvae in the Northeast). That being said, my initial impression by the squared snout and front and hind leg size is that this (as you said) is a Eurycea. If that is the case, then based on range the only possibilities (unless I am missing one) is the Southern two-lined, three-lined, and dwarf salamanders. The N. two lined, long-tailed, cave, etc. do not range into the Florida Panhandle.

Based on what I have read and seen (I looked up the larvae for all three), the dwarf salamander appears to be the close but not exact, and I think that the larva would be quite small. The S. two-lined and the N. two-lined larvae look alike to me, and the N. two-lined larvae tend to be lighter and have different dorsal markings (melanic 'rings' in two rows down the back) so based on a lack of these, my confidence is less in the S. two-lined than the others.

I can't comment on the S. two lined or three lined any further but going by photos and not knowing the size of your larva and how far along in its development, I'd say that my confidence is three lined > dwarf > S. two lined for this guy.

Again you should defer this to an expert on Southeastern salamanders, which I am not!

Hope this gives you at least a little to work with!
Noah M

Re: Salamander larva ID help

Post by Noah M »

Thanks. I've seen dwarfs before, but darker ones in mucky water down in the peninsula. Up in the panhandle they often are lighter, almost yellow. This probably partly why there is a current taxonomic debate about dwarfs. Having said that, I am confident it wasn't a dwarf.

I agree with the description of the two lines.

After working through my process of elimination, I arrived at a 3-lined salamander as well.

Thanks!

:beer: