Questions about artificial cover

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Croakersoaker

Questions about artificial cover

Post by Croakersoaker »

Can I please get some advice on artificial cover. I live in wakulla county Florida near Tallahassee. I have ten acres of land mostly wooded with about an acre clearing that's a little overgrown. I wanted to put out some ac to see what I can find here on my own land. I was thinking of using plywood but am unsure of what size. I was thinking of half sheets (4x4) or quarter sheets (2x2). I have been successful finding scarlet kings and corns etc road hunting in the summer but I want to do some flipping but have been unsuccessful finding areas to flip trash and boards etc so I decided to try making my own board line. Please help if you can thanks
chris_mcmartin

Re: Questions about artificial cover

Post by chris_mcmartin »

4 x 4 should be fine, and easier on the back to lift than a larger piece. I also use 4 x 2 (so you can get 4 pieces of AC out of one 4 x 8 sheet of plywood). I've used up to 1/2" thick plywood, sometimes 3/8".

You might also consider tin (if you can find it) and old carpet remnants.

Put some tin in heavily wooded areas, some at the edge of said areas, and some in the open.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

I put some pieces of some old countertop (some kind of artificial stone) out in my back woodlot about 3 years ago. So far have been disappointed with the results. I do get some rodents nesting under them-and I've put handfuls of sunflower seeds to expedite this, but so far very little in the way of snakes. I've observed a single wormsnake and an American Toad in all of this time. My guess is that the boards don't get enough sun to warm them adequately. I have seen numerous species out on the crawl on my property, so I do know that they're around-just not under my cover boards.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

tomharten wrote:I have seen numerous species out on the crawl on my property, so I do know that they're around-just not under my cover boards.
Do you systematically check them from, say, February through June? The cover I placed in Kansas was typically productive for a few-week span in the spring. Depending on weather, location, etc. the tin might produce sooner than the boards, but then everything stops in the heat of summer.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

I check them on a fairly regular basis (at least once or twice a week) in April and May-more sporadically after that. My guess is that it is too shady back there(?)
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

tomharten wrote:I check them on a fairly regular basis (at least once or twice a week) in April and May-more sporadically after that. My guess is that it is too shady back there(?)

That may be the case. Hopefully you have some at the "edge" of the woodlot where they can get at least morning sun.
Croakersoaker

Post by Croakersoaker »

Do larger pieces (4x4) attract larger snakes or more snakes in general. F I was after small snakes (such as scarlet kings) would it be better to have a few large boards or more small boards such as 2x4 plywood or even 2x2. Also I had a guy on Craigslist respond to my add for cheap plywood or tin he has about 30 8 foot pieces of tin for 4 bucks a sheet. Does anyone know a cheap source for plywood?
pete

Post by pete »

I would scoop up the tin!! Layer it 4 deep, snakes will use the cover for longer periods of time if they can thermoregulate in the pile without leaving. Construction dumpsters are great sources for scrap plywood.
Good luck!