Feb 28th and later- Palm Beach County and South activity?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ Jerome

Feb 28th and later- Palm Beach County and South activity?

Post by Russ Jerome »

Been years since I was in Palm Beach County FL for vacation, this will be the latest time in year (usually dec/jan) of the many I have gone. I typically hit Seacrest scrub and local parks and am happy with Gopher's and racers but hoping I may get to see more Crotalus and Sistrurus this year. Do I need to head South on field trips of will activity be up by then? Love to photo an Indigo, love to see non-native species I have yet to see in past.

Will have rental car, a few DSLR's with both 600mm bird lens' and 100mm macro's so I plan on being mobile for the week I have. Ideally will take car thru 41 E/W at end of trip, incredible drive last time down several years ago.

Russ Jerome, phone number avail for anybody who wants to hit woods Feb 28th-March 7th while there. Likewise anybody up in Wisconsin this summer we have some beautiful Timbers (your Canebrake) any weekend.
Noah M

Re: Feb 28th and later- Palm Beach County and South activity

Post by Noah M »

Thanks for the note! I'm one of those north Florida guys so I don't much about Palm Beach area, but I suspect exotics will be plentiful and I do believe winter is Indigo season.

Best of luck. :beer:
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

The end of Feb is about the time where evening cruising can become productive in SFL. I'd be night cruising if the daytime temps get above 83. Day cruising is good that time of year too - I'd go north and look through dirt roads through drier habitat (e.g. prairie and scrub) rather than going south though.
Russ Jerome

Post by Russ Jerome »

Thanks for input so far. I have really been mapping out parks I have not hit previously that show good results for Pygmy's like Loxahatche Slough and others slightly North of PBC. Recent news articles and posts show some big EDB are still to be found and not slaughtered by idiots. Few weeks now cant wait!
dwakefield

Post by dwakefield »

We've had quite a bit of warmer weather lately, and people have been successfully cruising stuff. Yesterday was particularly warm (high of 88) and I heard about one person that cruised a Mud Snake and a Swamp Snake in Palm Beach County last night. Someone also cruised three neonate EDBs, a cottonmouth, a corn snake, and a garter snake in Collier County. So stuff is moving after dark if it is warm enough!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Even up here in central Florida in the past few days I have hiked up a racer and a friend found a young eastern hog cruising around his back yard.
ebit123

Re: Feb 28th and later- Palm Beach County and South activity?

Post by ebit123 »

Hope your trip went well. Anyway the discussion on road cruising in PBC caught my eye. I stay in delray every year at my dads and havent found a safe, public area to road cruise in soutwest PBC (i have to drive real slow so i need back roads, which dont seem to exist there). So. I am guessing youd have to rod cruise more in northwest PBC, like our toward PB gardens, wellington, belleglade, etc? Are there public back roads there where you can go slow?
davidburkart

Re: Feb 28th and later- Palm Beach County and South activity?

Post by davidburkart »

While we are on the topic of herping south Florida this time of year, I figured I'd mention that I'm heading down there (from North Carolina) March 2nd - 9th. My plans are very loose, camping here and there, herping, birding, snorkeling in the keys, but mostly staying in the Everglades/Big Cypress vicinity. It's good to hear that the critters are out and active!

If anyone would like to meet up to herp, please let me know! I also welcome any advice, especially concerning places to check out outside of federal property (thank you, Jimi, for your WMA recommendations in the other Florida thread!).