Amphibian I found in Panama

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

karmatsunami

Amphibian I found in Panama

Post by karmatsunami »

Hi I am hoping to get this amphibian Identified I haven't had any luck with internet searches not great pictures but the belly was yellow spotted, not long out of the pond it looks like Image
Paul Freed

Re: Amphibian I found in Panama

Post by Paul Freed »

What you found was a beautiful little Microhylid frog, sometimes referred to as a 'Common Oval Frog', Elachistocleis ovalis. Nice find!
-Paul
chrish

Post by chrish »

Cool record. Looking at this site, it appears to have a very limited (or poorly known) range in Panama.

It would be great if you could document this record (and any others!!) in Herpmapper Database. There are NO records of this species in the database so far and a record from Panama is certainly worth documenting.
karmatsunami

Post by karmatsunami »

I found 2 in the space of 100 feet in field no real water at the moment as we are in a dry spell right now I thought they might be on the move to wetter areas, there is usually a brook but it has dried up.
karmatsunami

Post by karmatsunami »

chrish wrote:Cool record. Looking at this site, it appears to have a very limited (or poorly known) range in Panama.

It would be great if you could document this record (and any others!!) in Herpmapper Database. There are NO records of this species in the database so far and a record from Panama is certainly worth documenting.
I will do that I tried earlier but it wouldn't let me upload my picture for some reason might be size perhaps, I will try again later
chrish

Post by chrish »

If you have trouble uploading to Herpmapper, the best way to get help is to post a question on their FB page.