Field Guide Books for India

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tomharten

Field Guide Books for India

Post by tomharten »

I just found out that I will be traveling to India for a teacher exchange program. Can anyone recommend a good field guide book so I can begin studying up on Indian herps? I won't know specifics in terms of locations to be visited until February, but want to hit up family members who asked for last minute Christmas gift ideas for me!

Any birders on the forum that can recommend the "go to" bird guidebook will be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm going to start browsing some of the India related posts in a little while.

Tom
Aneides Aeneus

Re: Field Guide Books for India

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

There are a several good herp books for India. "Snakes of India", by Romulus Whitaker and Ashok Captain is fantastic. "The Book of Indian Reptiles and Amphibians" by J. C. Daniel is the best I know of for all herps. As for birds, one I really like is "Birds of India" by Grimmett, Inskipp, and Inskipp. There are a couple other good bird guides, but I can't remember them at the moment.

-Ananth
tomharten

Re: Field Guide Books for India

Post by tomharten »

Thanks Ananth! I will pick these up for sure. Someone else recommended the same bird guide, so I'm going to stock up and start studying. Thank you for the suggestions!