Yolo Delta Blackbelly Kingsnake footage

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

Yolo Delta Blackbelly Kingsnake footage

Post by Porter »

I came across this old footage on my SD card of my lifer Blackbelly and thought it was worth sharing. Added an experimental feedback recording that I incorporated in a song last year for background sounds. Enjoy...

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: Yolo Delta Blackbelly Kingsnake footage

Post by Scott Waters »

The added sound....not really working for this type of video. I dig your outside-the-box thought in using it though!

I live a couple of miles from that spot. :) Other interesting BBKs (totally different look) are found over there. Good stuff. Hit me up if you're up this way again.

Scott
Porter

Post by Porter »

Scott Waters wrote:The added sound....not really working for this type of video. I dig your outside-the-box thought in using it though!

I live a couple of miles from that spot. :) Other interesting BBKs (totally different look) are found over there. Good stuff. Hit me up if you're up this way again.

Scott

:lol: I actually love it! I think the morphing of the feedback is more than appropriate to match up with the morphing psychedelic aberrant pattern of the snake. There's even a part where I'm tapping on the snakes back with my finger while trying to get him to go back home down the hole, that emulates the toggle switching of the guitar; a few seconds before the finger taping. I thought later, man I should go back and synchronize it, but didn't. The video audio was horrible with a lot of zoom noise and cars passing. So, I just wanted to add something to cover that up. I made the vid in photoshop CC on my laptop and couldn't really view it until exported. It has a preview/playback before exporting, but it skips through the scenes like a slide show instead of flowing smoothly. I had only a handful of audio recordings on my laptop, so I just threw that one on there. At 3am in the morning, it sounds pretty interesting :lol: I could have added a song, but I only had a couple minutes of in focus footage. This is basically scrap audio and scrap footage picked up off the cutting room floor and thrown together to cure some boredom :)

I didn't know you were here in the area, Scott. I live about 10 miles from there. This is my last year herping for awhile. I'm actually going in for my first appointment for cortisone shots next week. I've been injured since January. I have a battle coming up that is gonna require all of my focus.

I found this speckled King under the same board, different time. Hubbs was telling me he normally finds them over on that other road that runs by the ______ . (I won't mention, secret) I'm sure you know where I'm talking about. Brian says they have traditionally always been found there. I haven't found many blackbellies. In fact that's the only one with a full dark belly. The other caramel colored/delta brown snakes only had partial like the one below. If you have some cool looking variations from there to post... would be awesome to see! :thumb:

Image0 speck habitat watermark by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image0 spec 2 watermark by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSpeckled Banded Kingsnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGolden Brown Black Belly Kingsnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Image0 Golden Brown Black Belly Kingsnake 1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

It wasnt a pretty melody sure but i took it in as something else - it was neural it was realistic to perhaps the flee and flight response being thwarted.. it was danger.. it was immobilization.

I know you were correlating the snake's pattern to the feedback but I heard it as the body electric. The snake is fine, so dont misread, but there was an aspect that perhaps inadvertently captured what snakes actually experience when caught. which is kinda brilliant. People may disagree and they also may be wrong.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Kelly Mc wrote:It wasnt a pretty melody sure but i took it in as something else - it was neural it was realistic to perhaps the flee and flight response being thwarted.. it was danger.. it was immobilization.

I know you were correlating the snake's pattern to the feedback but I heard it as the body electric. The snake is fine, so dont misread, but there was an aspect that perhaps inadvertently captured what snakes actually experience when caught. which is kinda brilliant. People may disagree and they also may be wrong.
Thanks, Kelly. That feedback track was originally in the Electric Mud song for The Singing Frog project. Field herping was the inspiration for the cartoon idea and I WAS trying to express relative emotions through the music. The sounds definitely portray a relation to movements, instinctive gestures, and behavior patterns that I observed. So, I can see how it transcends something about the snake unintentionally by coincidence. Cool that you noticed that :beer:

I like Scott's critique! Any feedback on my photography, art, or music is highly appreciated. Especially negative kind because that's the kind the is usually silenced and never heard. I took Scott's opinion under consideration and added a chord progression for fun. I still like the feedback tho, so I left it in :lol: I pushed the play button for the video on my laptop and the record button on my Tascam music recorder simultaneously, and played guitar while watching the video. Meshed it together best I could :mrgreen: :crazyeyes: :thumb:
I still like the original better tho :lol:

Here's another interesting and obscure filmo-graphical artistic construction arising from the pure essence of boredom which seems to blend well with the fluctuating musical theme developing within this post... The surround sound panning of the harmonica in this Singing Frog lost scrap bucket 2015 tune is elaborate on a mother nature status of epical proportion. I also believe I may possibly be the first person in this ever changing world to have orchestrated a swirling whirlwind of feedback with use of a harmonica in place of the traditionally used instrument; the electric guitar. So put on your headphones and feel the massive approach of this eerie yet beautiful life rejuvenating storm...
:mrgreen: :crazyeyes: :thumb: :sleep:

intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I like the feedback in the first video. Reminds me of the beginning to an album by Boris.

- Justin
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

I didn't know you were here in the area, Scott. I live about 10 miles from there. This is my last year herping for awhile. I'm actually going in for my first appointment for cortisone shots next week. I've been injured since January. I have a battle coming up that is gonna require all of my focus.

I found this speckled King under the same board, different time. Hubbs was telling me he normally finds them over on that other road that runs by the ______ . (I won't mention, secret) I'm sure you know where I'm talking about. Brian says they have traditionally always been found there. I haven't found many blackbellies
Yeah, the speckled ones I've seen are all from the same area. The first one I found is on page 87 of Hubb's Common Kingsnakes book.
Porter

Post by Porter »

intermedius wrote:I like the feedback in the first video. Reminds me of the beginning to an album by Boris.

- Justin
Cool. It's an excerpt from an experimental electric version of the background music in the Thunderstorm video I posted above. The Day the Water Turned to Mud - http://picosong.com/GKsE/ I'm still checking out full ablums of Boris on YouTube. Haven't come across the album intro you mention, but like the sounds I've heard on the Flood album so far.

Scott Waters wrote:Yeah, the speckled ones I've seen are all from the same area. The first one I found is on page 87 of Hubb's Common Kingsnakes book.
Brian including my red gigas in his Harmless Snakes of the West was awesome! I was pretty stoked on that. It will always be a Sacratomato Snake to me ;)