anyone been to Leticia, Colombia?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Herpaderp

anyone been to Leticia, Colombia?

Post by Herpaderp »

I'm currently living in Medellin, Colombia and I am planning to spend a week in Leticia over the Christmas holidays. Was wondering if anyone new of any reputable guides in the area, and what I can expect to see at that time of year. Also, any field guide recommendations (in Spanish, or in English) would be much appreciated.

I'm also interested in doing some fresh water snorkelling if it's possible, would love to see some of my favourite neotropical fresh water fish. If anyone has any information on that as well, would be thrilled to hear what you have to say.

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. has anyone been to the reptile museum at the University of Antioquia?
DanW

Re: anyone been to Leticia, Colombia?

Post by DanW »

I have not been to Leticia, but did travel around Colombia in 2015. I would suggest looking up Oswaldo Cortes from Birding Bogota, he has an interest in herps as well as birds and may have some insight. The first Colombian congress of Herpetology is going on in Medellin right now at Parque Explora FYI.

Dan
Herpaderp

Post by Herpaderp »

DanW wrote:I have not been to Leticia, but did travel around Colombia in 2015. I would suggest looking up Oswaldo Cortes from Birding Bogota, he has an interest in herps as well as birds and may have some insight. The first Colombian congress of Herpetology is going on in Medellin right now at Parque Explora FYI.

Dan
Awesome, thanks a lot, Dan. I know all about the Congress, I've been kicking myself for taking on so much work in November because I just don't have time to check it out. I've been asking/bothering some of the biologists at the University of Antioquia if they have any time/desire to take me out (for a fee), but I haven't been able to get any response yet. The Oswaldo suggestion sounds like it could be promising.

Thanks a lot, man, appreciate it :)
Muchobirdnerd

Post by Muchobirdnerd »

Hello, Do you know Giovanni Chaves Portilla? He is one of the leading herpatologist in the country and he guides. I'll send you his info PM.

Jim
south_londoner

Post by south_londoner »

I went there in 2005. We went with Decameron and stayed in Leticia I would recommend you don't do that as we had to travel to the Jungle every day. Also the tours were for people who didn't really like wildlife.
If you go, stay in a Jungle lodge but they are expensive.
According to the bird guide of Colombia, San Jose del Guiavare and Mitu could be better alternatives.
Let us know how you get on.