SE-Asia: Thailand and Malaysia 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

KaiK

SE-Asia: Thailand and Malaysia 2016

Post by KaiK »

Hello,
in September I spent 26 days in Malaysia and Thailand, I was accompanied by Attila Kobori, my girlfriend Chantal and Sarah, Attilas girlfriend.

Our first stop was on the island Langkawi, on my blog you find a tripreport about our time there:
https://austrianherps.wordpress.com/category/langkawi/

But now some pictures:

I hope you enjoyed reading my report and the pictures.

cheers Kai
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: SE-Asia: Thailand and Malaysia 2016

Post by Scott Waters »

I think your host will not allow full size images. That's a bummer! Good stuff. Try using flickr. :)

thanks,
scott
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

I enjoyed reading the write-ups on your site. My wife and I are considering to head out that way next year. In the end, was Langkawi or southern Thailand the better location for wildlife? We will only have around a week. Which was better for local culture? We are hoping to see a lot of both and not many tourists.
KaiK

Post by KaiK »

Hello Maarten,
well that is a hard question! In fact we saw more species in Southern Thailand, but we visited various locations there and Langkawi is "just" an island... If you and your wife don't want to do so much herping and also enjoy the beaches, I would recommend Langkawi. If you say herping is the main reason to be there, than I would say visit different spots :D
The big advantage of Langkawi is, it is small and you can see quite many species and the spots are very well accessible, the girls really enjoyed it there!

cheers Kai
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

Accessibility is important! That's why we were originally considering Penang. But there being three different species of monitor there and monkeys, etc. and seeing your photos piqued my interest! In your write-up you were talking about paddy fields and villages. From what I've read the island sounds like a massive resort with that massive skywalk and all and over three million visitors a year. Are you saying that there is a more local part of the island that would perhaps have some culture and less-touristy things to see? Thanks so much for the help. Looks like you all had a grand time.
KaiK

Post by KaiK »

Well that's not an easy question, first of all it may be important that it was my first time in the tropics and we spent most of the time (nights) in the jungle, so we didn't saw much of culture or tourists.
Yes there are parts which aren't so touristy but like I said most spots/parts are very accessible and so especially during the day there will be some tourists as well. As we were there in September it was off season, that may be different in the middle of the season.
If you really want to see wildlife and want a remote resort or something like that, I guess Langkawi is not what you are looking for. Why not spent some days there and then go somewhere else?

cheers Kai