HERP votes and Comment periods

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brian Hubbs

HERP votes and Comment periods

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I have a pet peeve. I want to share that peeve here. Now. So, listen up all you present and future contributors to the HERP database. Yes, and I'm talking to Jeff Lemm, Jim Bass, and others who should already know better than to make this mistake I'm about to address. It really bugs me.

When a data request is presented to us we get an email to read the request and comment. COMMENT, not vote...not say "Release my data" or "Sure, you can have all my data". NO, the comment page is for discussing the request if you want to discuss it.

The data release vote comes 10 days later. That's when you decide to release your data. Saying "Release my data" on the comment page does nothing but make you look stupid. Please stop...Please...

As far as I can tell, there are only a few of us who really understand what the comment page is really for...Fundad, ricrabt, Jonathan, and me...and a few others. The rest of you need to learn this process. Thanks for reading my rant...

8-)
yoloherper

Re: HERP votes and Comment periods

Post by yoloherper »

I was just coming over to the forum to make a post about this! Two big requests to vote on in the next week or so with the CDFW request and the forest service request and I worry that many people may think that they have already voted by simply commenting "yes" or "no."
-Elliot
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Brian, there seem to be two different, though related points/problems:

1. Does it make sense to say something to the effect of "Yes, you can have my data" on the comment page?

2. Are such comments sufficient to release your data?

My answers would be yes and no.

I can see nothing wrong with letting the data requester know - in advance - that, yes, I will vote to release my records when asked to do so.

But such assenting comments are, of course, not going to result in the actual release of records. People still have to vote "yes" when they are asked to do by separate mail - as happened today with the CDFW request. But, maybe, this is, or at least, was not obvious to everyone, especially relatively new data contributors.

So, I think it was a good idea, Brian, to make this clear one more time.

Robert
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I have no problem with positive comments, but as you said, when some people see all those "Yes" comments they might miss the real release vote by thinking they already released their data by saying "Yes" on the comment thread. That was my point, however rudely I tried to make it. :lol: Sometimes I'm not a great diplomat on forums, but at least I'm not running for president or anything...when I put my foot in my mouth... :o
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Just wondering: I just received a SECOND e-mail requesting that I vote on the CDFW data request - this AFTER I already voted on it a few days ago. As before, I voted again to release all of my records. But it seems that something went wrong here. Specifically, I am wondering whether it means that my previous vote went unrecorded for some reason.

Did anyone else experience this? Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,

Robert
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Look at it again. Is it CDFW or Sam Sweet? I got one today to vote on the Sam Sweet/Forest Service request. They are different requests...

I know it can be confusing when two requests are received within days of each other, but it happens once in awhile. :thumb:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Thanks, Brian. You are absolutely right, they are two different requests. Somehow, when I read the request from Sam Sweet today, I got the sense that I had already voted on it, probably because I had seen the request before when it was first presented to all HERP members. I will be more careful next time before sounding the alarm. :cry:

Robert
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yes, release all my data. hahahaha They have been doing that forever and I'm surprised its gone on this long. We'll see if anyone even reads this thread. lol