Visiting Taiwan in 2016

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Peter Engelen

Visiting Taiwan in 2016

Post by Peter Engelen » September 22nd, 2016, 9:56 am

After visiting 5 times Peninsular Malaysia, my girlfriend and I decided to change location and visit Taiwan this year. We will spent more then 3 weeks in Taiwan. From 8/10 till 2/11.

We already know that the road to Baling and Taihingshan are very good roads to search for reptiles. Because we want to see not only those two roads in Taiwan and wanted to visit several other places, we hoped you have some more tips of locations that we should visit to (try to) find some herps.

Our (maybe strange) top 5 from wanted to see in Taiwan is:

Cyclophiops major: Because I like green snakes
Orthriophis taeniurus: Just because we have a reproductive population in Belgium, and I wanted to see it in his natural habitat
Daboia russelli: Taiwan is not the easiest place to see this snake, but it is on my wanted to see list for a long time.
Deinagkistrodon acutus: pretiest viper from Taiwan
Euprepiophis mandarine: Very nice snake and high on my girlfriends list.

I hope somebody will/can give us some good extra advice.

Kind regards,

Peter Engelen

Paul Freed

Re: Visiting Taiwan in 2016

Post by Paul Freed » September 23rd, 2016, 5:16 am

Hi Peter,
Taiwan is a great place to see some outstanding herps. A few years ago I read one of the posts on this site about herps and herping in Taiwan by Bill Murphy. I sent him a PM and asked if he would be willing to help guide me to some good places to search for various amphibians and reptiles. Not only did he respond to my request, but he also met with me and took me to some fantastic places (including on the road to Baling that you mentioned) which yielded some amazing herps. (Oreocryptophis porphyraceus, Pareas formosensis, Sinomicrurus macclellandi, and one from your want list: Cyclophiops major, to name a few.) You might want to try contacting him and see if he's still around and willing to help you out. If you do get in touch with him, please give him my best regards. Good luck and Happy Herping!
-Paul

Peter Engelen

Re: Visiting Taiwan in 2016

Post by Peter Engelen » September 28th, 2016, 10:19 am

Thanks Paul. I'll try to contact Bill.

Kind regards,

Peter