Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mariquensis

Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon

Post by mariquensis »

Now after a hectic last few weeks I found myself relaxing on a Saturday night at home which isn't all that exciting. So i grabbed my keys and heading out just before dark and drove some 80kms to a spot where I'd always thought the Bradypodion should be.

Now thamnobatesare special chameleons for me, probably one of the first COOL chameleon I ever found in the wild at their type locality of Nottingham Road, Natal Midlands. But these animals picture below were found about 50kms away from the typical location.

This male pictured below I found first, it was about 7m up a massive tree there was no way in hell I could get it down. From the ground I could see it was a mature male and had some nice colouration so I HAD to make a plan to get it down. After duct-taping a 2m sapling tree to my 1m snake grab stick and climbing on the worst bendest rusty wire fence I had managed to tickle this sleeping chameleon onto my sapling tree and brought it down. Hopefully pictures made it worth it?

These individuals seem to favour large tree's and were found much higher than I've typically found thamnobates in Nottingham road.

Bradypodion thamnobates - Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon Male.

Bradypodion thamnobates - Natal Midlands Dwarf Chameleon Female.

For size reference:

Thanks for looking!

More pictures here: http://www.tyroneping.co.za/chameleons/ ... amnobates/