Spadefoots & Hermine

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

Spadefoots & Hermine

Post by Noah M » September 2nd, 2016, 9:32 am

Last night Hermine hit Florida. My wife wasn't too thrilled about doing some road cruising so I poked around the neighborhood in the rain. Matt, those tadpoles may be spadefoots because this video from that pond.

That single pond had squirrel tree frogs, cuban tree frogs, eastern narrowmouth toads, spadefoots, and the occasional leopard frog calling. The cuban tree frogs called from the pond edges or loose debris floating in the water. The narrowmouth toads only would call from long grass and vegetation at the pond's edge. The squirrel tree frogs would call from anywhere. I even found one calling from the nearby parking lot. The spadefoots were in the deepest parts of the pond. I was in up to my chest to get this video.

https://youtu.be/zunYvK5PdSs

Noah M

Re: Spadefoots & Hermine

Post by Noah M » September 3rd, 2016, 5:20 am

Here are some other photos from Hermine.

Found this guy under my boards (Pine Woods Littersnake)

Eastern Narrowmouth Toads

Squirrel Tree Frogs

Cuban

And a spadefoot!

mtratcliffe

Re: Spadefoots & Hermine

Post by mtratcliffe » September 4th, 2016, 7:14 am

Great video, Noah! Glad you were able to confirm that Spadefoots breed in that pond. Thanks more making the effort to go in deep to get a good shot! I wish I weren't in the process of moving as Hermine hit - I can only imagine how crazy the frogs were going at night. The Spadefoots were probably calling in Tampa, too.