Anyone knowledgable about envenomation relative to canines?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

doccod

Anyone knowledgable about envenomation relative to canines?

Post by doccod »

My Sister, who lives in Oregon, is having health issues with her dog. The dog was bitten by a croat about a year ago, in an area I personally know to have ton of C. Oreganus around (the snake was never seen).
The became very sick, but recovered after a couple weeks. All of a sudden this year, she came down with symptons none of vets can diagnose. Anyone ever experience this with one of their dogs?

Here is her FB post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

nhherp

Re: Anyone knowledgable about envenomation relative to canin

Post by nhherp »

All of my dogs are bitten each year by viridis and sistrurus which are prolific around my home. I have not seen any adverse effect to them long term and after the first bite each summer they have little more than bee sting reaction.

My german shepard was bitten in the face, approx. an inch forward on his muzzle from below his right eye, by a decent sized atrox when he was about 7 months old. His whole head swelled and we took him to the vet as a precaution. That was 8 years ago and he came through other bites through the years just fine with little reaction. Earlier this year, he developed pannus in both eyes (not unheard of in shepards) which we have wondered was enhanced by the bite and swelling of his entire head.

Other than that, dogs are typically really resistant to the crotalus species here in central NM. Head and legs are the best places for bites to occur on, while the abdomen is the worst to my understanding.

Where was your dog bitten? The link did not work for me.

-N-

doccod

Post by doccod »

Sorry, I guess the link won't work because it's not open to the public.
Here is the text:
A year ago our dog Meadow was pretty sick from a rattlesnake bite. She recovered fully, and was normal and healthy until about 7 weeks ago, when she began to show neurological issues, (head tilt, stumbling, etc). Our local vet ran lots of tests, and sent her to OSU Veterinary School where she had an MRI and a spinal tap and more tests. All tests have come back normal. She is only 2, and has a very clean pedigree. The OSU vet said that there is no evidence to suggest that rattlesnake bites can have long term affects show up later in life. Her illness remains a mystery. I realize that there is probably no connection, but am wondering if it’s just a lack of reporting. In any case, has anyone out there had any experience, or know anyone who has, with envenomation and later neurological issues? We’re grasping straws in hopes we can figure this out and find a way to help her recover. Thanks for any information you can help us with.

I believe the bite was to the head.

I know dogs are pretty tough when it comes to crotes, I had a German Shorthair who was bitten by a southern pacific on the leg, he got a tetanus shot and antibiotic and was fine a week later. I also had a English Collie who was bitten on the foot by a prairie rattler, also fine a week later after a vet visit.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Your sister used the term "very clean pedigree" , what breed of dog is the dog?

doccod

Post by doccod »

Golden Retreiver. My sister has another and she was carefull to research this because she was going to breed her. My Sister is pretty knowledgable about genetics and zoology. She runs one of the only mammal wildlife rescues in Douglas county and she has a masters in microbiology. She has a lot of local vets who are close friends but don't understand reptile envenomation well. I'm sorry if this is off topic some, but after visiting this site I know there are some very seasoned experts who post here sometimes and anyone with insight might have some info. Plus I'm a dog lover.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

That's great about your sister's expertise, it was just a question based on the initial brief info about having a very clean pedigree, which can have a different context to different people, ie heritable neurological disorders being an issue in some breeds.

Its a very wide gamut involved in purebred dogs so excuse the question.

Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its kind of a coincidence I was dealing with my own little dog, actually more my partner's (step-dog?) when I read your post. She is aging and has some mobility problems.

I hope your sisters dog gets better. Even with no bloodline history of problems I would guess that the vets she has worked with have already assessed the potential of a tie-in to damage and potential vulnerability.

There are some members here that have deep knowledge of venom mechanics and its damage.

I hope the come to this thread.