I supply the truck and gas anyone down?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jackc

I supply the truck and gas anyone down?

Post by Jackc »

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I've been out field Herping. I'm on a good schedule now (in law enforcement t and just finnished years of a crappy schedule) so I'm pretty flexible lol. I'm looking for Cerastes specifically but I enjoy just being out there and whatever we see. I'm 30something and not creepy lol. If anyone is down I live in the LA area and interested in Whitewater, etc. shoot me a PM and maybe we can get out there this week or next.

The caveat... You deal with some newbie questions lol. I've been a keeper for over 20 years and a field herper for longer, however I'm very new to road Herping and would appreciate a patient teacher.

-Jack
LouB747

Re: I supply the truck and gas anyone down?

Post by LouB747 »

Guessing it's too late for road cruising the low deserts. I do best late April until early July. I hear it gets ok again in late September, but I have yet to find a desert snake in the fall.

I'm just an amateur, so don't let this info keep you from going out.
mattg

Post by mattg »

I a lou hve not had much success in the low desert around palm springs in fall. however i have had much success in the deserts of san diego co. and imperial co. in the fall . i have also had sucess in the coastal mtns of la and berdoo counties a well as riverside and san diego. hope that helps. im stuck working nights so find something for me!
Jackc

Post by Jackc »

Thank you everyone for the great advice!! So basically I'm too late this season for Cerastes? I wouldent mind poking around and seeing if anything can be seen at all, as far as other species.

Thanks again!!
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

The northern deserts are pretty good in the fall months. Sidewinders are very common...
John Koerner

Post by John Koerner »

Any experience with Joshua Tree?

I have been there about 3x now and not seen any snakes yet (only Side-Blotched, Whiptails, and Yellow Spiny Lizards so far).

Have not seen any Collards or Chuckwallas.

It's mid-August now, and hotter than hell, so I am curious as to when is the best time of day/evening to go there for capturing images in-situ?

Thanks for any insight.