Moderator: Scott Waters

Kyle from Carolina

Spring and Summer in Massachusetts: Narrative + photos

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

deleted
pete

Re: Spring and Summer in Massachusetts: Narrative + photos

Post by pete »

That was a great post! Thank you for taking the time to put it together. That box turtle is stunning! All your shots are really nice.
The shooting star is actually a nightshade, Solanum dulcamara

If you make it to the east,send a message.

Pete
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Man Kyle,
You must have an nose for turtles, you found all the tricky ones. A great reminder that New England isn't just people and there's still some good herping to be found. Glad you and the other spadefoot cruisers were successful, I remember they were impossible to find when I lived in Connecticut. Good luck with the rest of your summer and fall.
Thanks for sharing,
Nick
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Impressive! I just love those Milk Snakes, and those erythrystic cinereus. I just wish we had some of those a little further south where I am, along with those Spring Sals.

I also enjoyed those Woodcock photos. So far, I've only seen them at night when they were breeding.

- Justin
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Oh, wow, Kyle! This is a great post! We will need to compare some more notes! ;)

I have one spot where I have repeatedly found erythristic redbacks, but I think it is much further west than where you found them. The same area is where we have found spring salamanders.

Spadefoot toads are my new white whale, since I got my lifer Eastern Box Turtle(s) last year. I have no clue where to look in Western MA, and have failed on the Cape, but I guess I have a few more places.

I have not found red bellied snakes consistently, but have found them in SE MA and west of the CT river. They do seem to be quite uncommon here!

I'm jealous of the rat snake, and the wood turtle...and of course that you have been working with Blanding's.

Andrea
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

outstanding ... thank you
Misenus

Post by Misenus »

Great finds and photos! I'm jealous of how much time you get to spend outdoors. These days, I typically get one Saturday a month, so there's a lot of pressure to make it count.
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

deleted
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Western MA gets most of the newts/efts in MA. I see so few of them in the eastern part, some places are a little more reliable for them than others (although, with so little rain this year, nothing is reliable!). I have had them in TMTC proportions in Western MA, both flipped and walking about!
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Doesn't seem like luck Kyle, seems like good eyes and effort. That said, good luck with the boggies. Have you gone looking for terrapins yet? That was one my favorite species to look for when I lived in CT.
Thanks for sharing,
Nick
Misenus

Post by Misenus »

Good eyes, effort, and luck probably still aren't enough for bog turtles in MA. On the other hand, someone found them here (in several spots), or we wouldn't know they exist. I've only tried looking once, but hope to get back out there and look again at some point.

Pat
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I think the only way to see bog turtles around here is to personally be invited to participate in a survey for them, and very few people are fortunate enough to get that offer. One would really need to be well-known, well-respected and well-trusted to be able to do that. I've heard rumors of people being put on a "watch list" for posting online about targeting them, because of (real, imagined, or potential...I really don't know) poaching concerns.

I think I'm as likely to see one in the wild as I am a tuatara.