Herping from San Fran southwards to LA!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

zeevng

Herping from San Fran southwards to LA!

Post by zeevng »

Hey all!

This weekend, my girlfriend and I are planning a four day road trip to the bay area and back. It's for her birthday, but since I'm the driver, she's promised me I get plenty of herping time! :thumb:

The last time I was up north of SLO, I had a broken foot and couldn't do too much herping, and before that, I was in India and Israel, so Bay Area herps are pretty new and exciting to me.
Looking at weather reports, it looks pretty promising, but from what I understand, herping up there has it's own separate rulebook.

Obviously, it would be incredibly, incredibly cool to fine a SF Garter, a rubber boa, and a Z, but with my limited time, I don't have high hopes.
That being said, any garter, racer, amphibian, or anything else not found in the southern half of Cali would be incredibly cool.

This is our tentative itinerary.
Friday, drive up there early on the 5, so we have time to sight see and do tourist things in San Francisco.
Saturday, the first half of the day is herping time, probably north of the city (I know Muir woods is touristy, thinking maybe Samuel P Taylor park, or something else). Second half of the day is going to be spent at Stinson beach for a family BBQ (and maybe slip away for some more herping in the area! ;) )
Sunday, early morning we're going to head down the 1, to Big Sur, and camp there that night. We'll be there by 2 pm and I have all that day to herp in the area. Monday, we wake up early, and head down the coast back to Santa Clarita, herping along the way!

Obviously, I'm not asking for locations, (Although if you feel so inclined, my inbox would be a most welcoming place for them. ;) :D ), just general tips on herping in the area. Am I more likely to find stuff while flipping? Hiking, out on the crawl? Sun, shade, wet, dry? Total novice to the area, so any tips at all will be super helpful and appreciated.

A couple of fellow herpers on the forum have herped with me in the past and know I'm a super responsible herper. Very much from the "leave nothing behind but footprints, and avoid even those if possible!" school of thought.
Any help or advice would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks muchly, and as always,
Happy herping! :beer:
Zeevng

Edit to add that I have literally never found a ringneck, despite people thinking it's funny to antagonize me by saying they are one of the most commonly found snakes by some. So a ringneck would be fantastic.
Calfirecap

Re: Herping from San Fran southwards to LA!

Post by Calfirecap »

Zeevng,
Much of the Bay Area has already dried out too much for good flipping but I wouldn't rule out anything just yet. There are still herps out on the crawl and since they are still out and about you can find them under cover as well, just not in large numbers. Mornings just when the sun starts warming things up is a good time for this. Racers, Gophersnakes, Rattlesnakes, and Gartersnakes would be your most frequent snake encounters and can be seen in any of the Open Space Preserves. The Ringneck snakes you desire are more of a Winter/Spring species, but can sometimes be seen when they come up to the surface to shed.
My advice would be to focus your attention along creeks in the morning and early afternoon. You should still be able to find both California and/or Rough-skinned Newts in most of the streams, plus a good assortment of other herps. Larval Dicamps are also easy to find at night by shinning a light in the pools of slow moving streams and if you are lucky you might even find an adult out on the crawl at night.

Lawrence
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

As Lawrence stated, focus near or around a water source. Garter Snakes, all species, including the San Francisco Garter, should be out and active early mornings.
zeevng

Post by zeevng »

Thanks, that's super helpful! :) :beer:

Have any of you herped between Carmel- San Simeon? Most of my herping time is going to be spent in Big Sur +/- north or south.
Coming from SoCal where pretty much all water sources have dried up already, this might be a stupid question, but are water sources and creeks easy to come across?

Thanks again! :thumb:
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Pm sent.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

The Santa Lucias have many permanent water sources running to the ocean between San Simeon and Carmel. All are good. Garters are common all along the coast there. Hiking canyons could produce a zonata if you put in the time/effort. Boas are very hard there and are far more common North of Monterey Bay. Ringnecks will be out crawling in daytime near water/shadier areas. Good luck and let us know how you do!

FH
zeevng

Post by zeevng »

Thanks so much everyone for the help, the private messages, and the advice. You guys outdid yourselves! :D

It was a great trip, I forgot how much I love getting out of the LA area!

Unfortunately, not much was seen as far as herps go, a couple lizards, including a very brave little guy in Giants Stadium, but nothing else. :(

Thanks again for the help though, and if I can be of service to any of you guys, or if anyone is planning any herping in or near the greater LA area, let me know!

And, as always,
Happy Herping! :beer: