New to central Maryland

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BryanZ

New to central Maryland

Post by BryanZ »

Hello all,

I recently moved to Westminster, MD from Denver, CO to complete my master's degree at McDaniel College. I'm not going to ask for herping spots, because I know how that works. I've done the majority of my herping in eastern Colorado. I'd like to try my luck and see some new species native to this area (new to me, at least).

A couple questions:
What field guides do you recommend for this area? I've seen a few Peterson field guides to eastern herps: one by Conant/Powell, one by Conant/Collins, and another by Conant/Peterson. Do you recommend any of those or other titles?

What snakes would you say are the most commonly seen for this area? For instance, in eastern CO, bull snakes and prairie rattlers (C. viridis) are a dime a dozen. You can't go out and not see either species on most trips.

Thanks,
Bryan
Kyle from Carolina

Re: New to central Maryland

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

If you're going to go with a peterson field guide, I would go with the new one that just came out. I like it a lot and it covers the basics pretty well. The range maps can be quite coarse and a bit off at the edges, but that's to be expected in a guide that covers such a large region.
BryanZ

Post by BryanZ »

Perfect, thank you. I will look into that.
BryanZ

Post by BryanZ »

Do you recommend any other titles?
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Not from MD, but I understand Copperheads are plentiful ... as are Black Rat Snakes. Timber Rattlesnakes are also in your area. Perhaps you can find a corn snake, hognose, and either of the 2 king snake species

Here are some guides on line
https://reptilesalive.wordpress.com/200 ... etro-area/
http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages ... amata.aspx
lassa8

Post by lassa8 »

Late to the party, but...

I moved to central Maryland about a year ago, and I have found it insanely difficult to find snakes (aside from Northern Ringnecks) as compared to my time back in Missouri. After a year of field herping, my MD snake list stands at two: Northern Ringneck and Northern Black Racer.

I'm convinced I've just had bad luck, because I've found some gorgeous habitat that would have held snakes back home.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Maryland's DnR website is pretty useful. The old 1991 version of Conant and Collins' Field Guide is still extremely useful, and should not be no problem.

It might also be a good idea to buy "Amphibians and Reptiles of Pennsylvania and the Northeast" by Arthur Hulse, Ellen Censky and CJ McCoy (2001).

I have herped Maryland several times. Worm Snakes, Ringnecks and Garter Snakes were the most abundant snakes during my time there. Racers, Water Snakes, Queen Snakes, Copperheads, Black Rats, Smooth Earth Snakes and Brown Snakes can be locally abundant.

- Justin