Porter

desert phase san joaquin

Post by Porter »

nightdriver

Re: desert phase san joaquin

Post by nightdriver »

since this is my last year of field herping
Say it aint so :(

That red racer sounds cool. Wish you had a picture. They can certainly vary quite a bit.

-nightdriver
Porter

Post by Porter »

Porter

Post by Porter »

Z
Porter

Post by Porter »

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Funny intersection post, my dad once owned that house on the corner of Tinnemaha and Goodale. As for the Coachwhip, I've seen countless in the Owens Valley and Mojave Desert and feel that the specimen pictured above is typical for the desert. I'll post a couple below. As for a golden Coachwhip, sound plausible to me, especially in the heat of the day with the sunlight reflecting.

Owens Valley

Mojave Desert

Colorado Desert
Porter

Post by Porter »

Porter

Post by Porter »

Also, to be more clear, the snake was 3 to 4 feet long. And the orange only extended from the head about 1/5 - 1/4 of the total body length
Porter

Post by Porter »

I love the desert, its all beautiful. What i mean is, the white rock place just appears out of the desert (metaphorically speaking) like a more tropical oasis...kinda. Its unique, and small (compared to surroubding des)
Porter

Post by Porter »

Occurring* lol
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Coachwhips are variable in tone and I expect any color anywhere. In general, no matter the tone C. f. pisceus has a dark neck, behind the head. Most that I have seen in the deserts are tan, brown, yellowish, or reddish. My favorite color are bright red, and I have seen the reddest snakes in coastal Southern California. Below is my favorite snake from the coastal Riverside County..

Porter wrote: Now I see why you jumped on my, "Northern Mojave" post a few years back and stated it was Owens Valley (even though I was trying to keep it a secret :lol: ) that place is your backyard :)
When people make discoveries they don't want to share, the best thing is to omit the information not comfortable sharing, thus keeping integrity intact. I haven't lived in the Owens Valley since my father moved after I had grown, but as a child I spent many fishing and camping trips there. I would chase lizards around as others fished. Owens Valley and its surrounding mountains have incredible biodiversity and I now take my son there on fishing, hiking, and camping trips.
Porter

Post by Porter »