Fires in s. AZ.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnakehaven

Fires in s. AZ.

Post by ratsnakehaven »

There's probably 4 or 5 significant wildfires burning in AZ right now, but the one I'm most concerned with is the Mule Fire partially in the Pajarito Mountains, west towards Ruby, and north towards the Tumacacoris. The temps are awefully high this weekend and it's very dry. Conditions aren't good for containing fires. The Mule Fire is about 20% contained. Caution is in order for herpers in the area.
https://ein.az.gov/emergency-informatio ... -contained

Terry
craigb

Re: Fires in s. AZ.

Post by craigb »

Thanks Terry, I am going to watch the progress.

Craig
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

I hope it doesn't burn too much of that area: I'll be there this summer. How far is this fire from Ruby exactly?
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Sure thing, Craig. Give me a holler when you're coming, so maybe we can meet up. .. :)

I think the Mule Fire has gone just south of Ruby. It didn't go through the town. It did however pass through Sycamore Canyon, so we'll have to see what the damage there is going to be. I'm also hoping it doesn't head north into the Tumacacori Mtns. Hopefully the rains will start early this year too.

Looking forward to seeing lots of amphibians this year.... :)

TC
Jeremy Wright

Post by Jeremy Wright »

I see. As you can tell my knowledge of that area is lacking haha. I'm really looking forward to visiting your beautiful state and spending time in that area. So unique.
canderson

Post by canderson »

For those of you interested in the details of fires currently burning in Arizona, and elsewhere in the southwest, the government has a website that gives details of the status of fires as well as maps. The link is below:

[url]http://inciweb.nwcg.gov[url]
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov Well I'll try this link.

Currently, the Brown Fire (Baboquivari Mtns) is somewhat out of control. Firefighters are trying to save structures and keeping it from spreading south, but it's burning in Brown Canyon and spreading onto Reservation land and north in the higher altitudes.

It is very hot and dry right now. Not good weather for herping. Looking forward to the monsoon rains. I'm only looking for herps after dark and very early in the morning. It's getting light around 5 a.m. and only staying cool enough for a few hours. Not much is moving unless you like lizards maybe.

TC
canderson

Post by canderson »

Thanks for posting the hyperlink TC, mine sucked! 8-)

Anyhow, how is the fire and drought situation in southern AZ now? The monsoon started promisingly and early in Albuquerque but has withered a great deal. There are scattered storms around occasionally; but here in Abq it's been hot, dry and windy.

Hope you're getting some rain!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Not a good month, very dry and hot. But next week should be better. There was another wildfire in Buenos Aires Nat. Grassland, but has been contained. Looking for a much friendlier end of the month for herping.