My Latest Rattlesnake Music VIDEO ...,

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

John Delgado

My Latest Rattlesnake Music VIDEO ...,

Post by John Delgado »

... do you like it? Yes, or no

If no ... tell me why, I'm a big boy now and open to constructive criticism :)

Adjust vid to 1080p60HD and full screen for best results ... enjoy the music

Northern Pacifiic Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus

John Delgado

Re: My Latest Rattlesnake Music VIDEO ...,

Post by John Delgado »

New rattlesnake music video ... one I found last weekend..., enjoy :)

Porter

Post by Porter »

Being a former herp film constructor, I feel obligated to say something since no one else is... and since you asked to be brutal, I'll treat this like billiards where the biggest insult you can give is to candy coat or go easy :lol:

1) if youre gonna do a 4 min vid, you need more individuals for variation

2) no individual should be shot for more than 30 secs without commentary. Commentary can stretch that

3) get interesting backdrops. The snakes look rad, but the boring dirt doesnt equal out the great looking snake, it overshadows it. Natural is better than man made, however some boardline layouts and other weathered shit can look interesting

4) more close ups (w sun at back to bring out color. 9am-11am & few hours before dusk for best color) 85-90% of herping vids lack that. The viewer is already slightly mad that you found something he hasant, dont piss him off more by not showing him what it looks like

5) add those hashtag things or else youll remain undrrground like me and never get good exposure. Good exposure = better input and support. Make the vids for people, not yourself. Vids posted, mean vids shared. Dont be a selfish prick :lol:

...other than that, great music choice :thumb: especially dig the "crawling" blues. Lyrics that have some kind of intended or unintended tie to the herping aspect draw in the viewer and keep them interested. SRV "sideways" would be great for a sidewinder, for example. Plus the raw blues sound encompasses the natural vibe of nature...cold, lonely, real, beautiful, instinctual, ect... but sometimes computerized and other creative sounds can capture and reflect the personality of a herp. You got the music and the right outlook, cut out the fat and keep the nutrition
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ok, here... but, shhhhh, dont tell anyone ;)
https://m.youtube.com/user/pondcitris
Porter

Post by Porter »

Skip past the first few vids. They were filmed with a $70 digital samsung point n shoot camera w the video option engaged. So close up with zoom wasnt possible. The bullfrog love and the northern mojave one. And the Iphone song shit.

Examples:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq0qfpFEUzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xv0jgNc4M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0NiD2bhMSY

6) a little In sinc choreography with the music can spice things up and hold things together. Give the sense or illusion that its not a vid backed with music, but a solid package piece. Music backed with vid is better way to think of it

Ex:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ykNnF0tNLMk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GoW9vpSZM

Thats my take on it...
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Thank you Porter ... great posts.

I am taking note ... appreciate the advice very much.
Porter

Post by Porter »

I laid it on thick... as if I was undergoing inebriation in a bar filled of quarter tables surrounded by beautiful college girls of art and psychology majors, and guys I don't know offering free cups to drink from their pitcher of cold sud and telling me... "you're awesome man. No, seriously...you are" ...do to vibe setting, band acceptance encouraging, and woman respectful beauty emotion embracing, but be yet not of damn good making shot and precise runs of influential englishistical spin...and the table morph chorfling a geographic map of geometric universal balance which seemed to be tilting nonchalantly in my favor... There can be no greater encouragement than that of an honest gesture....

Having said all that rehash of cocky arrogant brag nasty reflective Indulgence of good deed doing... viddy on my good man, viddy on :beer:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Native American traditional would work well in a rattlesnake video.

wood flute.
scottriv

Sidewinder

Post by scottriv »

Porter

Post by Porter »

Outstanding footage :thumb: excellent display of smooth flow, technique, speed, and climbing capability within a short time! Also, nice artistic imagery as far as shadow cast and habitat :beer:
Porter

Post by Porter »

However, your video lacks the awesome close-ups of Delgato and that music doesn't match up to the vibe, atmosphere and seductiveness of night, rhythm of movment in correlation to the music beat and timing nor does it do anything but distract the viewer from whats going on in the vid, and also has no poetic lyrical conjunction.... it was basically like watching an man getting ripped apart by wild bear and the Turtles singing, "So Happy Together..." actually that would work quite well in a comedic sense if the video footage wasn't authentic or you had a sick sense of humor :lol:

...sorry, I had to :roll:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Like I love Hendrix and Nirvana...but I could never incorporate that in a herp vid. only maybe Jimi Hendrix playing the blues album stuff where he was just on acoustic and doing the traditional Blues... but their style of music just doesn't match with Herps. The mathematical technicality of bands like Tool and Primus can mesh with snake crawl, but still tricky. If it werent for the obscure sound it would never match. Dark mysterious sounds and rhythms of strip club type rap seem to work well. But thats because the music is designed for snake-like movement. picking the right sounds is tricky business...
scottriv

Post by scottriv »

It was the best I could do using an iPhone

:-)
Porter

Post by Porter »

The footage is great, as is Johns :beer: if its not too much trouble, try this song Old Flame by kimbra without changing you footage. As you walk up to the snake, should match up with the suspenseful build up of the songs intro. As the snake starts moving, the beat comes into the song. As other sounds begin to arise in the background, the rhythm and sounds should mesh nicely with the variations of sporadic bursts and smooth snake movement. Might not be precisely in sync without adjusting timing in the video, but would give a good idea of what Im trying to explain.

if you can throw one together quick on your iPhone and post then you're the man because I'd curious to see how it turns out... Should grasp some enchantment.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... joHsHm3Gfg
Porter

Post by Porter »

This would work good for wet ground habitat/grass displaying fresh rain drops, salamander slow crawling, fast paced steady newt crawl, close ups of frogs throat breathing, and baby coast garters slightly defensive and wanting to crawl away but not sure if its safe yet...probably any baby snake associated with moisture

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUHP7hewIF0
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Working on cutting down vid duration ... I'm thinking 2:30 to 3:30 is good

Scenery ... I'll have to work on that. Where I hunt rattlers is not much but manzanita, scrub oak, chaparral, and sage brush ... and by the time I let the rattler get near shrub they GONE ...! The NPR's are very skittish and DON'T like people close to them ... they skedaddle for cover right quick if they have a chance.

This next one was really cool, he pretty much hung out and let me video - he couldn't have cared less I was right there.

Found him on July 1 last week, was end of a really hot day around 7:pm and he was chillin' in the shade when I spotted him ... named him "Jefferson"

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus

Porter

Post by Porter »

Now that's some snake music :thumb: Looks like the snake liked it as well :lol: I swear that beautiful beast was dancing to that Rhythm as he inched along and breathe bobbed to the beat. kind of like the snake was having that moment where you first here a song and not to sure if you like it, but then you like... "hmmmm, Okay yeah, this is kind of cool. I kinda like this, got some groove to it" and start bobbing your head :lol: nice proportional pans, balance of snake body cropped to the corners of frame, interesting and un-boring shape balance within a frame, and good timing of close ups. You sure thats not a raccoon snake (nice tail on that thing)? :beer:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Nice blue rattler vid too btw ;)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You guys are good at this movie audio stuff...I would love to see someone try some native wood flute, its got an organic, living sound, weaving and breathing, the wispy arpeggios, the pauses between phrases of motion.

And in many songs underneath it all like a subtext there is a poignant quality not unlike sadness and it reminds me of awe and awesome things misunderstood.

Its also wholly American, just like Rattlesnakes ~*
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Thank you Porter ... really enjoyed your post ... appreciate it :) Oh and that 'blue' rattler in my YouTube channel is my fav ... that's my boy...! Whenever I hike through the area where I found him I give a respectful shout "Travis ... Travis ... Traaaaaaaa-visssss where are you ...!?!" -- I pray to God I get to see him again someday.

And Kelly ... I'll look into that for you.

Myself being (DNA tested by 2 independent labs) approx. 38% Native American - Chiricahua Apache... I like your idea 8-)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thats interesting John, I took Karate as a kid and you bear a strong resemblance to my teacher Mr. Cody who was Apache. Like brothers for real. I thought of that the first time I saw one of your videos.

Oh and thanks man, about the flute score.. that would be all the way live for me for sure, but at your leisure of course!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Last time I heard a native american flute was on facebook being played by a field herper who was in fact, Native American. By coincidence, in an exhausted and sleep deprived state of mind, I was realizing that I was developing feelings of love for a married woman who I had never met in person but reminded me of two women I had loved very much in the past. She was like a unique combination of the two and somehow without trying brought me to the realization that I could no longer let peoples opinions and my own guilt consume me to the point of waisting away in exceptance of a false and assumed reality of personal confinement and feelings of failure. I realized that it was also not morally right for me to maintain a friendship with yhat woman undrr false pretenses of unromantic intentions... So, I wrote to her admitting I was falling in love and that we shouldn't be friends (her being the only woman I had to seek comfort in. Which from her perspective and any normal minded perspective, was never romantic interaction to begin with, by any means) However, that guilt of allowing myself to think of her in a loving and comforting manner had become overwhelmingly painful and in realizing this, I watched this guys posted native flute playing vid that night and it seem to grasp the solemn sadness and loneliness I was drowning in and I thought to myself, "whats the right thing to do" ..."what would I do if I was the person I was before spending 3 yrs with a woman I never loved..." and then I knew...and for a few moments my chest didn't feel like it was empty and caving in... for a moments the pain cleared and I clicked "like" on the post and then I saw that she did as well, and I cried. Not because of the unusual seriousness of the guy in the vid who normally portrayed himself as a practical joker, not because of the woman who likely had no idea how I felt, but because I had broken the spell I was under and refound the man I was. The man that didn't have to down play his own natural personality to make his ex gf of 3yrs feel better about being a dishonest and unfaithful person in attempts to help her beat alcoholism. I could go back to who I was when people respected me and become someone to be proud of. Somehow, the woman whom I'd never met, who loves her family and husband (not me!) had sparked that rebirth in me. And that was the first step. I told her in an FB message that we shouldnt be friends because I was starting to fall for her... and then... she wrote back saying I was friggin crazy :lol: true story! Except she was a lot nicer about the, "youre friggin crazy" part.

...oh yeah, and then the next day I flipped my lifer black belly cal king. True story
Porter

Post by Porter »

So yeah...native american flute... that's powerful shit :lol:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

you have an intricate and honorable heart some day a bright woman will become happily lost in.